Advice needed

Options
Hi all, 
Total noob here and would love some advice or suggestions on what to do with my money. 
Debt:
HTB - 30k is what I got so may be more if valuation comes in higher, hoping I get a surveyor to stick to original, looking at the zooplas market info it shows house could be worth up to £180k. (bought it at £150k)
Student loan - still owe £5.8k, paying roughly £230 pm depending on pay.

Savings and investments:
£16.5k in Lloyd's savings account
£8k in partners Lloyd's savings account
BT shares have dropped significantly in the last few years from £5 to £1.50 but can't lose money on saveshare, always get back what's been put it. 
BT directshare - contribute £50pm, total investment upto date is £3.7k - 1270 shares worth £1.9k, receiving roughly £170 dividend payment in cash annually
BT saveshare - 5 year plan bought at £3.76 investing £50pm - matures August 2020 so I'll just get my invested £3k back.
BT saveshare - 5 year plan bought at £1.70 investing £50pm - matures August 2023.
BT saveshare - 5 year plan bought at £1.64 investing £100pm - matures August 2024
BT saveshare - 3 year plan bought at £1.85 investing £100pm - matures August 2022.
None of the above are actually making any money as the share price is sitting around £1.50 atm but as states above can't lose on save share so no risk at all.

Obviously I need to pay off the HTB, interest starts October 2020. I've got about £27k saved so either looking to pay all off if I manage to save enough or pay back 15% off the 20% HTB loan which works out £22.5k. We manage to save about £1k per month.

What would you recommend I do? Do I stick with BT shares as there is no risks but at the moment it's just a piggy bank. I've bought some of the shares at quite a low price and hoping the share price will go up shortly. As you can see I don't have an issue with investing long term but as everyone don't like risk. Or do I withdraw all money and invest elsewhere. 

My income is £40k but with OT and call outs close to 40% tax bracket. Baby on the way.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. 

Comments

• Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You do not mention you or your partners pension situation ? - for most people this is the most important part of investment planning .
  • AdrianSK
    Options
    You do not mention you or your partners pension situation ? - for most people this is the most important part of investment planning .
    Pension wise I contribute 5% and BT contribute 10%, pension pot at 65 is £427k, I'm hoping to retire earlier, around the 60 mark so the pot will drop. I'm looking to up the pension percentage, will most likely match BTs 10%.
    Partner has just started paying in to her pension, she only works part time though. 
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    pension pot at 65 is £427k, I

Where has this figure come from ? I presume you have a DC pension and this Is  a projected figure based on you ( and BT) continuing to contribute at the same rate as now? 

If so , this projection is likely to be based on pessimistic investment return assumptions and you will most likely end up with significantly more , especially if you have many years to go yet. I'm looking to up the pension percentage, will most likely match BTs 10%. Probably a good idea.

Have you ever looked into what the pension is actually invested in ? do you have the option of changing the investments?

As you can see I don't have an issue with investing long term but as everyone don't like risk. 

Some risk is unavoidable with investing , but it can be managed , especially if you are in it for the long term.

Alternatively to be safe you have to accept low interest rates 

• AdrianSK
    Options
    pension pot at 65 is £427k, I

Where has this figure come from ? I presume you have a DC pension and this Is  a projected figure based on you ( and BT) continuing to contribute at the same rate as now? 

If so , this projection is likely to be based on pessimistic investment return assumptions and you will most likely end up with significantly more , especially if you have many years to go yet. I'm looking to up the pension percentage, will most likely match BTs 10%. Probably a good idea.

Have you ever looked into what the pension is actually invested in ? do you have the option of changing the investments?

As you can see I don't have an issue with investing long term but as everyone don't like risk. 

Some risk is unavoidable with investing , but it can be managed , especially if you are in it for the long term.

Alternatively to be safe you have to accept low interest rates 

Pension is invested in SL Blackrock Managed (50:50) Global Equity Pension via Standard Life. I see they do S&S ISA too so will need to look into it. 
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure