»

Spending Virgin Atlantic Reward Miles

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: Stay up to date with the latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
Stay updated with our guides: Coronavirus Help & Your Rights * Coronavirus Travel Rights
NEWSFLASH 27/03
MARTINS VIDEO FOR SELF-EMPLOYED * DELAY HOUSE MOVES * EUROSTAR UPDATE

Spending Virgin Atlantic Reward Miles

8 replies 121 views
WSoapWSoap Forumite
5 posts
Fifth Anniversary Combo Breaker
MoneySaving Newbie
Hey all,

I've accumulated just over 30,000 Virgin Atlantic reward miles in the last few years or so. If their reward seat calculator is to believe, that means I'm eligible for a free flight to most of the destinations they fly to (for example, a flight to Miami is 25,000 miles)
However, whenever I try to book a flight (using Miami as the example), the website will show a price of 25,000 miles + £300 (or so). I've tried checking loads of different destinations across loads of different dates, but there are no flights I can redeem a free seat for. All have an extra cost of a few hundred pounds.
Is this normal? I'm guessing Virgin Atlantic have some small print somewhere which lists a reason I can't use my points for a free flight, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. I'm not actually that fussy about the destination - I'd just like to use these points if I can!

Thanks!

Replies

• WestinWestin Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    The taxes and charges are always extra on reward redemption over and above the ‘free’ seat.
  • Alan_BowenAlan_Bowen Forumite
    3.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Frankly, as you can see trying to book an economy seat using miles is a complete waste as you can often buy flights for little more than the taxes and fees airline charge. You either need to earn more miles and look for a better redemption or look to see what else you can buy with the miles. 
  • davelewisdavelewis Forumite
    404 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭
    Its definitely taxes and charges on top of the airmiles. I collect virgin miles Via Tesco Clubcard and find them fantastic. I cruised from Southampton to Miami last January and flew home with Virgin for 12.500 miles and £125 cash taxes and fees. Bargain. 
  • WestinWestin Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    As you discovered davelewis, it can often be better value to buy a flight using VS FF miles with an ex US departure point.  The taxes and charges are much lower.
  • edited 25 February at 7:29PM
    Sharon87Sharon87 Forumite
    3.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 25 February at 7:29PM
    I've found this too. I would more likely to use them to upgrade my seat if I could. I have around 20,000 points. I mean it's still a lot cheaper than a regular return to the USA. Frequent Flyer points are that, they benefit frequent flyers more - ones that earn 100,000 points a year!

Have you tried another country to see if the same amount of taxes are charged on them too? There will always be some taxes to pay. I paid around £17 in taxes for a BA reward flight to Ibiza.
  • steve1500steve1500 Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    The miles come into their own if you can use them during the school holidays, whatever class you are flying. Or look to buy a ticket for cash & upgrade
    Private Parking Tickets - Make sure you put your Subject Access Request in after 25th May 2018 - It's free & ask for everything, don't forget the DVLA :D
  • davelewisdavelewis Forumite
    404 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭
    steve1500 said:
    The miles come into their own if you can use them during the school holidays, whatever class you are flying. Or look to buy a ticket for cash & upgrade
    I'm sure Virgin Miles are only worth half during peak times (including school holidays). For example a return flight to NYC is 20,000 miles but during peak travel times (including school holidays) it is 40.000 miles for an NYC return flight. 
  • steve1500steve1500 Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    davelewis said:
    steve1500 said:
    I'm sure Virgin Miles are only worth half during peak times (including school holidays). For example a return flight to NYC is 20,000 miles but during peak travel times (including school holidays) it is 40.000 miles for an NYC return flight. 
    Yes, they are more, but we have used them for Orlando- savings are massive
    Private Parking Tickets - Make sure you put your Subject Access Request in after 25th May 2018 - It's free & ask for everything, don't forget the DVLA :D