New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH
FOREIGN OFFICE TRAVEL ADVICE * FURLOUGH UPDATE * MORTGAGE LENDING

Holiday cancellation

3 replies 141 views
Four days before flying to Vietnam Our friend, who was coming too, father passed away suddenly. We couldn’t travel obviously, but as our insurance didn’t cover us as he wasn’t a direct relation our friends tried to appeal to the company to transfer our holiday to later in the year. They won’t, and have just offered us £200 off the next holiday. We’ve lost £7000 between us all. Even their insurers are uncertain if they’re covered as the small print states the insurance should have been purchased within 15 days of the booking. Any suggestions? We’ve appealed to the company (a large reputable one) several times to no avail! 

Replies

• zx81zx81 Forumite
    27K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It all depends on the precise terms of the insurance but, from what you say, it appears you're out of luck.
  • Aylesbury_DuckAylesbury_Duck Forumite
    6.1K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm assuming from your account that they didn't book insurance within 15 days of booking the holiday?  That's unfortunate but if those are the terms and an appeal to goodwill hasn't worked, I can't see where else you can turn I'm afraid. 
  • JamoLewJamoLew Forumite
    217 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    I feel for the friend, but there wasn't really any reason that the rest of the party couldn't travel regardless.
    It does appear that you are out of luck due to the 15 day specification