»

Faulty Shoes - What are my next steps?

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: Stay up to date with the latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
Stay updated with our guides: Coronavirus Help & Your Rights * Coronavirus Travel Rights
NEWSFLASH 27/03
MARTINS VIDEO FOR SELF-EMPLOYED * DELAY HOUSE MOVES * EUROSTAR UPDATE

Faulty Shoes - What are my next steps?

10 replies 301 views
HeleneGHeleneG Forumite
4 posts
First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
Hi all, My first message so I hope you can help.

I bought a pair of black ladies loafer shoes for £36 online at Evans in November 2019. They were lovely and I wore them to work. 
2 weeks ago (less than 3 months after I bought them) I noticed one of the shoes felt funny when I walked so I looked at the sole of the shoe and there is a split on the sole.
I contacted Evans via their website and they advised me to go to a standalone store but there are none in Swansea only one concessions store.
I explained this to them and they asked me to email them photos of the shoe, which I did.
Because the sole of the shoe is black it is very difficult to see the split on the photo.
They concluded from my photo that the split was from wear and tear and said that they could not comment anymore and if I wanted a 2nd opinion to go to a TopShop store. I did this and they looked at me as if I had 2 heads. They were unwilling to provide a 2nd opinion as they had not seen the item before.
I emailed Evans and told them this and they replied that if I was not able to go to a Standalone store then they would not be able to assist me anymore.
I rang them and was told the same, I asked to speak to a manager and was told that they cannot say anything else to me and the case is closed.

I cannot see how this is even legal. I feel as if I am being punished for their being no stores in Swansea.
I think that if they just saw the shoe they would agree that it is faulty. I don't think it is reasonable for a pair of shoes to last 12 weeks. They are not fit for purpose.
What would they do if the customer did not have a smart phone to take photos?
Any ideas what I can do now?
Many thanks

Replies

• davidmcndavidmcn Forumite
    15.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't you post them back? If the shoes were posted to you, they can't insist on you travelling to a shop to return them.
  • HeleneGHeleneG Forumite
    4 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Hi,
    Yes I could but now they are over the 12 weeks I cannot get a return note online as it says I have had the items for more than 90 days. I was thinking of just getting the general address and positing them back with a letter enclosed but wasnt sure of the wording to use.
    Thanks
  • edited 24 February at 11:18AM
    hollydayshollydays Forumite
    19.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 24 February at 11:18AM
    From their website RETURNING GOODS WHICH ARE OF UNSATISFACTORY QUALITY OR UNFIT FOR PURPOSE

Customers in the UK can return these items by post by accessing our online returns portal via ‘My Account’ or the returns page. Alternatively you can return them to our UK or EIRE stores (excluding those in department stores). Refunds will be credited to your original method of payment.
International customers can only return these items by post.
For further information on how to return items by post please see How do I return an item by post?in the Returns section of our FAQs." I'm not sure if you've already seen this, there was a hyperlink in there but it didn't work for me. Maybe you need to be signed in
    4 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Thanks, would you enclose a letter stating the details I have told you or write anything about the goods not being fit for purpose?.
    Thanks 
  • born_againborn_again Forumite
    2.2K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nantyffin Rd
    Llansamlet SA7 9RD
    Is that store not close to you as it is in Swansea?
  • davidmcndavidmcn Forumite
    15.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nantyffin Rd
    Llansamlet SA7 9RD
    Is that store not close to you as it is in Swansea?
    It's a concession inside Tesco, not the standalone store which they are demanding the OP goes to.
    4 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Thanks but as said this is a concessionary store. I have been on Which website and it was very helpful in drafting a letter referring to the The Consumer Rights Act 2015 etc. I'm going to post it tonight with the shoes and see what happens. Fingers crossed
  • teddysmumteddysmum Forumite
    9.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
     When my son was about 5, he was bought a larger size of a shoe that  had lasted well .This pair lasted only a few weeks, although not used for outdoor play, but the shop they were from had closed down. I took them to a Trading Standards office (they used to be more accessible ) , where the lady agreed that they were poor quality, noting that the tops of the shoes showed they had not had rough treatment. 

I don't recall whether she actually contacted the manufacturer, but I was told that I had to have them tested, at my own expense, and then the manufacturer would reimburse if they decided we had a case.

The cost of testing, plus postage each way,  being more than that of the shoes, accompanied by a long wait, made me give up and buy new shoes. 
  • hollydayshollydays Forumite
    19.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say they were of unsatisfactory quality
  • societys_childsocietys_child Forumite
    6.9K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭

There are so many possible answers :D

. . . tread carefully