New Post Advanced Search

Debate House Prices

We’re struggling at the moment with the huge volumes of messages we’re getting from Forumites about coronavirus and the impact it’s having on their finances. We’re a small team and we’re doing our best to manage this spike in demand. As a result, we’ve reluctantly decided to temporarily close the Debate House Prices & the Economy Board so that we can redirect our limited resources to those who need us most at this time.

Please do not post content intended for this board elsewhere in the forum – we appreciate your help and understanding during this exceptionally difficult time. It goes without saying, we hope to get back to full business as soon as possible!

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

Welcome to the UK

50 replies 2.9K views
This graph highlights just how royally F'ed the younger generation are. 
I'm all for capitalism but something needs to be done to prevent impending mass homelessness / affordability. A recent survey showed that the average Brit (excluding London) on average spend 40% of their income just on rent. Is there any realistic solution here? Banning home owners from raising rent prices or house prices for 20 years is obviously not the solution... The government simply refuse to build more homes and companies refuse to increase wages. So what can realistically be done?

And no, "getting a higher paying job" is not the solution as our country needs workers to fill low skilled jobs or our country would fall apart.

Replies

• AdrianCAdrianC Forumite
    29.3K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minor detail...

• davidmcndavidmcn Forumite
    15.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lees80 said:
    There's a thread on here about someone who has already got their parent a CCJ by not repaying a loan they took out for them. That same poster is now wanting their parent to cough up the dollar for them to buy their first home. Talk about taking the !!!!!!.
    I think we've identified that that thread is by a wind-up merchant with previous form here - so there almost certainly is no parent, CCJ, prospective purchase, etc.
  • lees80lees80 Forumite
    154 posts
    100 Posts
    davidmcn said:
    lees80 said:
    There's a thread on here about someone who has already got their parent a CCJ by not repaying a loan they took out for them. That same poster is now wanting their parent to cough up the dollar for them to buy their first home. Talk about taking the !!!!!!.
    I think we've identified that that thread is by a wind-up merchant with previous form here - so there almost certainly is no parent, CCJ, prospective purchase, etc.
    I had wondered.  :#
  • sst1234sst1234 Forumite
    68 posts
    Second Anniversary 10 Posts
    if you if you can’t afford to live in London, don’t live London. The rest of the country gets by not living in one of the largest international hubs in the world. If you want to live there, pay for the privilege and stop moaning. And before anyone comes along with the argument, “but who will make the coffees”, “where will the teachers and the nurses come from”, if no one chose to do it then everyone in London would be paid more. 
    As for the rest of the country, at no time in history, has it been cheap or easy to buy a starter home. Sacrifices have to me made. 
  • csgohan4csgohan4 Forumite
    7.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭
    tough choices need to be made, no holidays and extravagant spending and move out of London. Haven;t looked back since moving out of London, no-one has a right to live there
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"
  • lees80lees80 Forumite
    154 posts
    100 Posts
    csgohan4 said:
    tough choices need to be made, no holidays and extravagant spending and move out of London. Haven;t looked back since moving out of London, no-one has a right to live there
    It is all about choices, isn't it. Mind you, doesn't just apply to people wanting to live in London. I work in and out of London and that suits me fine. Long term living there just wouldn't be for me. 

Friends of ours earning the same amount of monthly household income each month, sometimes more. Live in the same part of the country. They're always moaning about being skint. Less overheads than us - and they still don't think it's the choices they make that is the problem  :| Almost become a conversation killer when one of them starts on a rant about it.