PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Grandma renting

Options
My first post here, thanks for accepting me.
Background:
Grandma (my MIL) sold her large house in October 2017 and was a 2/3 owner (my wife 1/3) following death of husband in 2010.  Grandma 'gave' almost all her 2/3 of money to my wife & I, and we placed it in our bank account.  The plan was that she should initially rent then 'buy' our current house off us & we use the monies from her former house to buy a bigger one (we have 3 small children).  We have struggled to find anything suitable until now & Grandma has remained renting. The house we have found (if they sell to us) will use most of our monies.
Question:
We are aware of the 7 year HMRC rule on the money that Grandma has given us.  Grandma now feels that she would rather live in the same property as us.  We are aware that if we buy a house using (some of) the money Grandma gave us & she lives there, then HMRC will look at it as though Grandma is a part owner & we will be subsequently taxed on her death & gain nothing from the 7 year gifting rule.  However, if we charge Grandma rent for living at the property at the going local rate then will that be ok at the time of her death as far as HMRC is concerned.  
My reasoning is that Grandma is currently paying rent to her landlady & HMRC will tax the landlady as Grandma's rent is seen as earnings for the landlady.  If Grandma stays with the landlady & dies less than 7 years after giving us her money then we have to pay tax.  Now if Grandma lives with us but is renting & I (or my wife) declare this rent as earnings & pay tax on it, then HMRC still gets its tax (from me now & not the landlady) & we still get clobbered if Grandma dies within 7 years.  However, the 7 year clock continues to tick as Grandma is paying at the local renting rate. 
Is my reasoning sound?
Martin

p.s. we are aware of the risk of Grandma's 'early' death, but if all else fails we could sell the 'new' house to release capital - its a risk.

Comments

• tom9980
    tom9980 Posts: 1,990 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've helped Parliament
    Options
    How much money is it?
    When using the housing forum please use the sticky threads for valuable information.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    My first post here, thanks for accepting me.
    Background:
    Grandma (my MIL) sold her large house in October 2017 and was a 2/3 owner (my wife 1/3) following death of husband in 2010.  Grandma 'gave' almost all her 2/3 of money to my wife & I, and we placed it in our bank account.  The plan was that she should initially rent then 'buy' our current house off us & we use the monies from her former house to buy a bigger one (we have 3 small children).  We have struggled to find anything suitable until now & Grandma has remained renting. The house we have found (if they sell to us) will use most of our monies.
    Question:
    We are aware of the 7 year HMRC rule on the money that Grandma has given us.  Grandma now feels that she would rather live in the same property as us.  We are aware that if we buy a house using (some of) the money Grandma gave us & she lives there, then HMRC will look at it as though Grandma is a part owner & we will be subsequently taxed on her death & gain nothing from the 7 year gifting rule.  However, if we charge Grandma rent for living at the property at the going local rate then will that be ok at the time of her death as far as HMRC is concerned.  
    My reasoning is that Grandma is currently paying rent to her landlady & HMRC will tax the landlady as Grandma's rent is seen as earnings for the landlady.  If Grandma stays with the landlady & dies less than 7 years after giving us her money then we have to pay tax.  Now if Grandma lives with us but is renting & I (or my wife) declare this rent as earnings & pay tax on it, then HMRC still gets its tax (from me now & not the landlady) & we still get clobbered if Grandma dies within 7 years.  However, the 7 year clock continues to tick as Grandma is paying at the local renting rate. 
    Is my reasoning sound?
    Martin

p.s. we are aware of the risk of Grandma's 'early' death, but if all else fails we could sell the 'new' house to release capital - its a risk.
    Has grandma actually gifted you and your wife her share of the proceeds from selling her house or had she, for some bizarre reason, just asked you to look after the money for her? 

What does 'buy' your current home from you mean? Why is 'buy' in inverted commas? 
  • oldbikebloke
    oldbikebloke Posts: 1,096 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 23 February 2020 at 2:29PM
    Options
    grandma's money bought the house you live in
    that status will still apply to the next place you buy

you don't appear to be aware of the Pre Owned Asset Tax (POAT) rule?

Under that, if grandma does indeed live with you in s property her money has paid for and she does NOT pay you a Market rent, then she will be subject to income tax on the value of rent she is not paying. That rule designed to precisely address the scenario you think will get around the 7 year rule. She cannot evade IHT if she continues to benefit from her money in the form of rent free living in a house her money paid for.

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,427 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Surely Grandma should have a beneficial interest in the new property to the extent of the percentage of the purchase price she has provided? You. you wife and Grandma should be TIC?
    This would avoid the POAT and be fair to Grandma?
  • DMartinJones
    Options
    This money is a.....Potentially Exempt Transfer
    'How much money is it?'...........over £325k
    'Has grandma actually gifted you and your wife her share of the proceeds from selling her house or had she, for some bizarre reason, just asked you to look after the money for her?' ..........gifted.
    'What does 'buy' your current home from you mean? Why is 'buy' in inverted commas?' ....doesn't matter as will not live there.
    'Grandma's money bought the house you live'.....no, we own our current house.
    'Pre Owned Asset Tax (POAT) rule'...this is my question:  I intend to charge her rent & pay tax on my earnings from it.  Should she live 7 years after gifting then should that be ok for HMRC, in that she rented in our house?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    This money is a.....Potentially Exempt Transfer
    'How much money is it?'...........over £325k
    'Has grandma actually gifted you and your wife her share of the proceeds from selling her house or had she, for some bizarre reason, just asked you to look after the money for her?' ..........gifted.
    'What does 'buy' your current home from you mean? Why is 'buy' in inverted commas?' ....doesn't matter as will not live there.
    'Grandma's money bought the house you live'.....no, we own our current house.
    'Pre Owned Asset Tax (POAT) rule'...this is my question:  I intend to charge her rent & pay tax on my earnings from it.  Should she live 7 years after gifting then should that be ok for HMRC, in that she rented in our house?
    It does matter if what grandma actually did was give you that money with the expectation she would end up owning the house you currently live in. 
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,967 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Can you look at it as:
    1/ in October 2017 Grandma gifted you some money.
    2/ since then she has rented elsewhere.
    Thus establishing that the money was an outright gift and the clock started in October 2017.
    Now you are going to buy a bigger home and sell your existing one. Presumably you will move in first and get the place sorted. You may then invite Grandma to live with you either permanently or temporary. You don't know what the future holds, Grandma may change her mind, she may have care issues. Either way having lived independently for nearly 3 years after gifting you the money may be enough to satisfy hmrc that the money was a true gift and therefore a PET.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,427 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    1/ in October 2017 Grandma gifted you some money.
    2/ since then she has rented elsewhere.
    Thus establishing that the money was an outright gift and the clock started in October 2017.

It wasn't a gift if Grandma thought that she would be buying the OP's home thus enabling him to move to a larger property?

• DMartinJones
    Options
    Please understand that Grandma (MIL) is on-board with it all.  She gifted her share 1st week November 2017 with no conditions & at that time we were looking at cheaper houses. With her (& my wife’s) money we became cash buyers - I initially thought that would help, but 3 years on I can say not.  The property we have now found would cause us to spend all Grandma gave us, my wife’s 1/3, our current property (which we fully own) & dip into savings too. Personally I think we are pushing ourselves, but my wife loves the house (Swansea) & grew up in her parents house (South London) & she wishes to spend the money on something to ‘replace’ her childhood home.  The crux of my initial question was that if Grandma pays a going rate of rent to us that we declare, would that not impact on the 7 year gifting rule for HMRC? (We need to factor in early death & tax bill & also should she hate living with us (though she has expressed this as ideal) then we get a nearby bungalow for her). 
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure