Carers allowence and backdating question

Hi, up until 2017 I was receiving dla and carers allowence for my wife and visa versa. It stopped and I reapplied in 2017 but did not get awarded because I was receiving top up payment until I got pip decision. Fast forward 3 years and I got my decision and I got my appeal now starting 2017 and ending 2022 am I now entitled to have my carers allowence backdated from 2017?

Feel free to ask any questions. I am dyslexic so apologise for anything that doesn't make sense. 

Comments

• pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Are you in Northern Ireland?
    If I understand correctly, you had to appeal your PIP decision (made in 2017) and this was awarded recently?  In the meantime you received a 'top up' payment because you are in Northern Ireland whilst your appeal for PIP was being heard.
    https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/personal-independence-payment-pip
    So your wife had her Carer's Allowance for you stopped?
    Hope I've understood correctly.
    The Carer's Allowance should be backdated to 2017 BUT whether you receive it or not depends on whether you and your wife are claiming any other means tested benefits.
    For instance, if you both claim income based ESA then the Carer's allowance is counted as income so you would not receive any backdated Carer's allowance as the backdated CA would be cancelled out as it should have been counted as income for the ESA.  Hope that makes sense.  But you should receive backdated Carer's Premium if you had this with your ESA claim.
    It all sounds complicated I know and it is difficult to advise without seeing your paperwork.
    Also I do not know whether the 'top up' you have received is deducted from any PIP backdating.
    It may be best to let them sort it out and then contact a helpline to check that everything has been done correctly.
    We do not have any 'top up's in England so I am not familiar with the process.  
    Perhaps someone else will be able to help who has more knowledge of the system.
  • Lw2020
    Lw2020 Posts: 4 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 23 February 2020 at 12:21PM
    Thank you for your reply. Yes you are correct about everything only my wife is income related and I'm contribution. So I am not sure if this would change anything. I shall phone on Monday and see what they suggest then phone the helpline as advised. Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure