Monetary help available when you’re partner has mental health issues

22 replies 1.3K views
13»

Replies

• Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    42K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the thing that puts me off about claiming 25% off council tax is that whilst I have autism so can be considered to have a mentail impairment .., but severe?  I do claim PIP but still wouldn't feel easy claiming SMI. I would have thought that was for people really severely affected and really severely disfunctional.
    I think you are right: I got the impression when my dad died that the SMI scheme was available for those who couldn't manage their own affairs. I went to report Dad's death at the council to get the single person discount for mum, and was asked if she was 'all there', pretty much. 
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
  • _shel_shel Forumite
    3.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the thing that puts me off about claiming 25% off council tax is that whilst I have autism so can be considered to have a mentail impairment .., but severe?  I do claim PIP but still wouldn't feel easy claiming SMI. I would have thought that was for people really severely affected and really severely disfunctional.
     I applied for my hubby, he has Asperger. So long as you can get your gp to agree and sign the form you'll get it. 
     We were awarded and hubby works full time. 
    Don't Buy The S*n