»

Termination Charges

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: Stay up to date with the latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
Stay updated with our guides: Coronavirus Help & Your Rights * Coronavirus Travel Rights
NEWSFLASH 27/03
MARTINS VIDEO FOR SELF-EMPLOYED * DELAY HOUSE MOVES * EUROSTAR UPDATE

Termination Charges

4 replies 51 views
newks44newks44 Forumite
6 posts
MoneySaving Newbie
I signed up via Martin Lewis' Cheap Energy Club on January 5th to what was then the cheapest tariff for Gas & Electricity  on the Website - People's Energy 2 months upfront Winter 19 v2 tariff . Now  through the Cheap Energy Club I find that People's Energy 2 months upfront Winter 20 v3 tariff will save me £266 per year. However People's Energy tell me that I will have to pay £60 in termination charges- £30 for each commodity- which doesn't seem fair considering that I am remaining with the same Company. Comments please.

Replies

• JGB1955JGB1955 Forumite
    576 posts
    500 Posts First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    It's probably hidden in their terms and conditions ,and the £60 is likely to be £72 once 20% VAT is added on,. Phone them and ask for a definitive answer.
    #36 Saving for Christmas 2020 - £1 a day challenge.... £178/366
  • macmanmacman Forumite
    44.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a tariff change charge, not an early termination charge (the latter is when you change supplier)
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • EssmumEssmum Forumite
    65 posts
    10 Posts
    JGB1955 said:
    It's probably hidden in their terms and conditions ,and the £60 is likely to be £72 once 20% VAT is added on,. Phone them and ask for a definitive answer.
    VAT is only 5% on energy and pretty sure the VAT is already included in the exit fee.
  • DawnCrushDawnCrush Forumite
    202 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    newks44 said:
    I signed up via Martin Lewis' Cheap Energy Club on January 5th to what was then the cheapest tariff for Gas & Electricity  on the Website - People's Energy 2 months upfront Winter 19 v2 tariff . Now  through the Cheap Energy Club I find that People's Energy 2 months upfront Winter 20 v3 tariff will save me £266 per year. However People's Energy tell me that I will have to pay £60 in termination charges- £30 for each commodity- which doesn't seem fair considering that I am remaining with the same Company. Comments please.
    As per the tariff information label for that tariff:
    https://cms-server.peoplesenergy.co.uk/uploads/_/originals/pdf-peoples-energy-2-months-upfront-winter-tariff-19-v2-1-year-1.pdf

the early exit fees applies for leaving the supplier or switching to another tariff.

I can confirm the exit fees you have quoted are correct and include VAT at the appropriate rate (currently 20%)