Gas and electricity early exit charge

So we've received the latest energy club comparison and our saving threshold has been reached.

The best deal has a £60 early exit fee for the 12 month fixed tariff.

The, probably daft, question is that OH is perpetually looking at moving house.

If we moved house (but still kept the supplier we'd moved to) would that trigger the early exit charge?

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,101 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Yes it will - you cancel one contract with the penalties when you leave and start a new one (even with same supplier) at the new property
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Some providers yes, some no.  Depends on the tariff.  See T&Cs.  Best to assume that you can't take it and treat it as a bonus if you can.
  • Essmum
    Essmum Posts: 91 Forumite
    First Post
    Shouldn't be an exit fee when you move house..When you move that usually cancels the contract. 
  • So we've received the latest energy club comparison and our saving threshold has been reached.

The best deal has a £60 early exit fee for the 12 month fixed tariff.

The, probably daft, question is that OH is perpetually looking at moving house.

If we moved house (but still kept the supplier we'd moved to) would that trigger the early exit charge?
    No one can provide you with a definitive answer as you have not stated what supplier and tariff you are consideriing moving to.

I would urge you to either read the terms and conditions carefully, or contact the supplier directly for clarification.
  • veryintrigued
    veryintrigued Posts: 3,843 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 23 February 2020 at 11:07PM
    It's the eon
    Fix Online Exclusive v30.
    The T&C's aren't exactly easily accessible from either the MSE Energy Club or the Eon site directly.

However the need for the 'smart meters' means I'll not bother.

How these 'save energy' when they are constantly using power, being that we are independently frugal on G+E and have been monitoring and submitting meter readings for a decade is anyone's guess!!!
  • It's the eon
    With Eon, they only charge early exit fees (where applicable) for switching supplier.
    If you transfer to another tariff (i.e remain with Eon), or are forced to cancel your agreement due to moving home, then Eon do not apply early exit fees.
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 February 2020 at 10:11AM
    It's the eon
    With Eon, they only charge early exit fees (where applicable) for switching supplier.
    If you transfer to another tariff (i.e remain with Eon), or are forced to cancel your agreement due to moving home, then Eon do not apply early exit fees.
    Spot on Biscuit_Tin. We don't apply exit fees where customers are moving home or changing to another E.ON tariff.
    Exit fees only apply where customers change supplier outside of the renewal period.
    Thanks Biscuit_Tin.
    Malc

Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure