How is this possible-scam email.

Just found an email in my junk folder with both my partners name and my name on it in subject and then my first name in body of email with a link to click which obviously I didn't.
In subject line partners name has an unknown scam email address, just wondering how they somehow managed to link both of us up?
I have run a virus scan which comes back clean.
Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Just delete it.
  • John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    ^ Wot he saitd.  It's just not worth the mental effort trying to work out what has gone on.  Just take all the usual precautions, including different and hard-to-guess passwords for each entity you deal with.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Nowadays I am not disturbed by these scams, just delete them. But the one that always really angers me, is someone using the name of a very dear childhood mate who passed away 3 years ago. I know the person whose email address was compromised to let this scumbag in and I informed her that until she changes email and passwords, I will not be communicating with her. She decided to take offence and said that all her friends knew her email and she was not going to change it. I sent her a snail mail letter explaining exactly how to change it and how to inform all her contacts, with one message. She cut off all contact, so that achieved the object I guess. But I still get scam attempts using my oldest mate's name, from a different source. What is wrong with these ratbags?
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family