»

High Gas and Electricity consumption of a small flat

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

High Gas and Electricity consumption of a small flat

6 replies 101 views
solmazsolmaz Forumite
1 posts
MoneySaving Newbie
Hi everyone 
It's probably too late but I realised that in the past two years that I moved into this flat my electricity and gas consumption has been too high. It is a small two bed ground floor flat with gas heating and hot water and the rest on electricity. The annual gas consumtion for the period 2019-2020 has been 18588kwh and electricity was 5388kwh. I paid £1862 for this consumption in that year. This is almost £900 more than what I used to pay in my previous flat which was the same size but a bit more energy efficient. None of my appliances have changed. We only added an electric heater which we sometimes use in our shed in the garden, I know this adds to electricity consumption but how about gas? My supplier SSE has not been helpful.they can only offer meter check and i don't think the problem is with the meters. I have been with SSE as well in my previous flat and so don't think the issue is with the tariff, it is the high consumption that I am concerned about. We are a couple living in this flat and most of the time outside. Please help.

Replies

• edited 22 February at 2:59PM
    TalldaveTalldave Forumite
    948 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited 22 February at 2:59PM
    Wow!  When we (2 adults 1 child) lived in a 2 bed flat (up to 2017) we used 4,500kWh gas and 3,000kWh electric annually.  Admittedly it was a modern block and the flat was well insulated by the adjacent flats, but your consumption is astronomic.  We now live in a 5 bed detached house and are heading for 40,000kWh gas and 5,000kWh electricity annually, which I don't think is bad bearing in mind that the kitchen here is almost the size of the 2 bed flat.  I also expect the electricity consumption to drop towards 4,000 in the second year, after LED lighting conversions.
    Not sure what to  advise on the gas - how old is the boiler?  What are the room and hot tank thermostats set to?  How many hours a day is the water heated (only needs a morning and evening boost if tank well insulated)?
    For electricity, get an energy monitor - if you meter has a flashing red LED get a monitor that reads that, otherwise you need a clamp on the wire type. Geo Minim+ are great and last time I looked were available in both variants.  Switch everything off at the consumer unit and then switch things back on one by one.  Do you have an immersion heater switched on?
  • edited 22 February at 2:42PM
    Gerry1Gerry1 Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited 22 February at 2:42PM
    Talldave said:
    For electricity, get an energy monitor - if you meter has a flashing red LED get a monitor that reads that, otherwise you need a clamp on the wire type.
    Bear in mind that if you monitor the flashing red LED you can't spot a dodgy meter.  Perhaps the OP's meter is supplying all the communal lighting and heating?
  • TalldaveTalldave Forumite
    948 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Gerry1 said:
    Talldave said:
    For electricity, get an energy monitor - if you meter has a flashing red LED get a monitor that reads that, otherwise you need a clamp on the wire type.
    Bear in mind that if you monitor the flashing red LED you can't spot a dodgy meter.  Perhaps the OP's meter is supplying all the communal lighting and heating?
    Very true - that's an important point, particularly if it's not a purpose built block. Tracing gas pipes might re-assure on the no-shared status of gas, and killing the consumer unit should highlight anything outside the flat going dead, provided there are no dubious wires disappearing off elsewhere between the meter and the consumer unit.

• Robin9Robin9 Forumite
    5.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Are the meter readings yours and were the move in readings yours \?

Re the Gas - records do occasionally get messed up when an old imperial meter is changed for a metric type  - check the serial number on the meter and on the bill,

Re the Electric and the heater in the shed.  A 100w tubular heater is 900 kwh in a year.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • edited 22 February at 4:47PM
    dogshomedogshome Forumite
    3.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 22 February at 4:47PM
    Wow !
    Are the meters in these flats fitted inside/beside the flats, or are they all housed together in a service room?
    If in a common Service room, it's possible that the meter you are looking at and the supplier is billing, Is NOT your meter

Check Electric Meter - 2 handed job with mobile phones
    Turn off everything in the flat, then whilst one watches the meter which should be at a standstill, the other switches the Elec kettle ON & OFF to the orders of the meter watcher, the meter should react in exact synch to the orders - If it doesn't it is not your meter
    Check Gas meter                                                                              
    Same as above useing high consumption appliance such as Central Heating boiler
    PLUS - There are 2 types of gas meter::
    Imperial These have been phased out, but still a lot in service - Marked on the face as ft3 and delivers close to 31.5 Kw for each meter unit
    Metric Currently being installed, marked on the face as m3 and delivers close to 11.2 Kw for each meter unit
    If your meter is Metric and the supplier thinks it's Imperial, they are overcharging you by 83%
    PLUS  Meter failure
    Digital Gas meters are electronic and battery powered and can go rogue, recording use when there is none. With all Gas off for an extended period, keep checking the meter at one hour intervals

• Gerry1Gerry1 Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    dogshome said:
    If your meter is Metric and the supplier thinks it's Imperial, they are overcharging you by 83%
    It's worse than that, the overcharge will be 183% !