New Post Advanced Search

Old £20 notes

21 replies 3.8K views
PennylanePennylane Forumite
2.2K posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭
As I’m an Over  50er I am hoping I am posting in the right place.
I have several thousand pounds in old £20 notes but I understand banks and post offices won’t exchange them.  I believe I can pay them into a bank account but I don’t want to.  I like to have some cash to hand and always have done.  i know they will be legal tender for quite some time but I am not anticipating buying any large items in the next six months or so or I would just spend them.
Any suggestions?

Replies

• edited 21 February at 10:33PM
    p00hsticksp00hsticks Forumite
    8.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 February at 10:33PM
    I suspect the old ones are going to be around for quite a while - the Bank of England have said that they'll give six months notice of when they will be withdrawn from circulation. So I'd just start using them for all your cash spends. I think that's your only option if you don't want to bank them.
  • HasbeenHasbeen Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pennylane said:
    I have several thousand pounds in old £20 notes but I understand banks and post offices won’t exchange them.  I believe I can pay them into a bank account but I don’t want to.  I like to have some cash to hand and always have done.  i know they will be legal tender for quite some time but I am not anticipating buying any large items in the next six months or so or I would just spend them.
    Any suggestions?

Some info here, https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/exchanging-old-banknotes
  • OldbigglesOldbiggles Forumite
    489 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    We could all be facing this problem soon because the Bank of England has announced that its going to replace the existing £20 pound notes with those (slippery) plastic ones .

Trying to learn something new every day.

;)
  • HasbeenHasbeen Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    We could all be facing this problem soon because the Bank of England has announced that its going to replace the existing £20 pound notes with those (slippery) plastic ones .

Only the people with several thousands of £20 notes under the mattress. That do not want to put into their bank account.
  • Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    41.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought they had already? Yes, they have. 

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/polymer-20-pound-note

(The charity I work for has issued an appeal to "give us your first £20 note". Obviously not expecting the actual notes to be posted to us ... it was very successful with the £5 and £10 notes.)
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
  • edited 24 February at 12:34AM
    moleratmolerat Forumite
    23K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 24 February at 12:34AM
    I am trying to think what you could possibly need several £K in cash sitting in the house for.  I have just counted all the cash I have and it came to £16.40 including the bags of 1p and 2ps !
  • PollycatPollycat Forumite
    29K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pennylane said:
    Any suggestions?
    Are these 'old £20 notes' the ones that are still in circulation after the new 'slippery, plastic' ones were introduced earlier this week?
    I'm not going to make any comment about the 'wisdom' of keeping £2k cash in the house...

• edited 23 February at 10:46AM
    Sea_ShellSea_Shell Forumite
    3.9K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Hung up my suit!
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 February at 10:46AM
    molerat said:
    I am trying to think what you could possibly need £20K in cash sitting in the house for.  I have just counted all the cash I have and it came to £16.40 including the bags of 1p and 2ps !
    We have a whopping £55 in notes currently, between us.    But I have been collecting up £2, £1, 50p, and 20p for "car park money" over the summer, and having just had a tot up, we've got £36!!!

I'd suggest the OP checks their household contents insurance ASAP to see what limits they have for cash in the house.   Could only be £500 or so.   If they're happy to take the "risk" (of which there are many), then that's up to them.
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow ":beer: JOB DONE!!
    This should now read "It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts"!!! :j:j:j
  • PennylanePennylane Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    molerat said:
    I am trying to think what you could possibly need £20K in cash sitting in the house for.  I have just counted all the cash I have and it came to £16.40 including the bags of 1p and 2ps !

who said anybody had £20k sitting  in their house?