Barclaycard Platinum Declined

Fumi
Fumi Posts: 3
First Post
edited 21 February 2020 at 7:14PM in Credit cards
I wonder if someone might be able to help me. I currently have a current and savings account with NatWest. I also have a MasterCard, American Express Gold Rewards Card as well as the Standard American Express green Charge card. I live at home with my parents and my outgoing rent etc is fairly minimal. I also have an Experian rating of excellent - it always falls between 961 and 999. This month it actually was 999. However, I am aware that these numbers and the whole credit rating thing are not always to be trusted.

With all this in mind, I just got declined for the Barclays Platinum card. I only earn about £12,000 a year. I was under the impression that adding more cards would increase the score on my profile. Did I get declined because of my fairly low salary and the fact that I already have three credit lines running?

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,071
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Are are you carrying any debt on the credit cards?
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Most likely you don't meet the profile criteria for the customers that Barclays is looking to attract. 
  • Fumi
    Fumi Posts: 3
    First Post
    edited 21 February 2020 at 7:16PM
    Nebulous2 said:
    Are are you carrying any debt on the credit cards?
    No. I pay everything in full every month. I don't actually spend a great deal. I try to have between 5% and 10% card utilisation every month. I have never missed a payment either. All my cards are less than two years old.
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,071
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I don't think the number of cards has much to do with it then. I suspect it is your income. 
    You don't need another one. Even if you have a goal such as a mortgage in mind, deposit and affordability will be more important than carrying more lines of credit.
  • Nebulous2 said:
    I don't think the number of cards has much to do with it then. I suspect it is your income. 
    You don't need another one. Even if you have a goal such as a mortgage in mind, deposit and affordability will be more important than carrying more lines of credit.
    That's probably good advice. Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport