New Post Advanced Search

Fences & neighbour!!

4 replies 213 views
Hi all, we have a fence panel down in the storm which to be honest they've been up 20 years so they've done ok. We want all the fence panels replacing (about 10) as thought might as well get the whole job done as some of the others are on last legs. Well the problem is with neighbour. I've been and explained that we would like to replace our fencing and that I appreciate she has "things" behind the fencing that will need moving so new new fences can go up. When I say things she's taken it upon herself to attach a roof and door to make a shed, lean to thing. They are our fences! I've given her 6 weeks weeks which I feel is able enough time to sort her side out. I've explained that they will need attaching from her side as they are now. Shes told me that the only way its being done is if it can be done from my side, I'm guessing as she doesn't want anyone on her land and probably doesn't want them touching her make do shed. Although if I take the fences down the thing will fall anyway. Shes an absolute nutcase and the day I went round she told me shes moving out and renting it and wont tell me where shes going or her contact number. I do know where shes going though 😜 
Shes that much of a nutter the neighbour on the other side of her was power washing her fence when she came running out saying the fence was getting wet, but she can fix god know what to my fence! 
What can I do if access is not allowed, I did read about an act which states you must let your neighbour onto the land so they can carry out repairs? The house is empty at the moment I'm tempted to pull it down now! Probably not the right thing to to and I know I need to put things in writing, even though it would be easier! 
What's wrong with people, if someone said to me brand new fences were going up and there would be no cost I'd be clapping my hands together!
Please help x

Replies

• HasbeenHasbeen Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would just push the whole fence over. Then wait until the new renters complain to her. Its your fence you do not need any thing in writing.
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • Enterprise_1701CEnterprise_1701C Forumite
    23.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    She should not have attached her "shed" to your fence.  It is still windy, it is hardly your fault if your fence falls down taking her "shed" with it.  Oh, and you do not need to put it back either, it should never have been there in the first place.  Might be worth putting a series of notices up on her side of the fence asking that nothing be attached to it.

I do not know legally, but I would get that fence sorted whilst the house is empty, then there is no-one you can ask and no-one to complain.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • jpbeautybabejpbeautybabe Forumite
    76 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Thanks for replies. Someone has started to move in so won't be empty for long. Yeah that dance is goming down! 
  • HasbeenHasbeen Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for replies. Someone has started to move in so won't be empty for long. Yeah that dance is goming down! 
    Ensure the dance gomes down asap.
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon