0% money transfer to clear existing balance on same card? Is this allowed?

Options
Good morning,
I was looking for another 0% balance transfer deal as my current promotional rate will soon expire. However, I've just noticed my current card (Barclaycard) is offering me a 0% money transfer promotion up to my credit limit. My balance is less than half of my credit limit. 

I wondered if, rather than balance transfer to a new card whether I could money transfer an amount equivalent to my current balance, and then immediately pay the transferred money back to Barclaycard. This would then clear my 'current' debt, leaving me with a new balance at the 0% rate.

In my head that makes sense, but I'm wondering if (a) that's allowed and (b) if that's a better option than simply balance transferring to a new card. I can't see anything in the T&Cs against it. 

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Many thanks

Comments

• SuperAllyB
    Options
    Once the money's in your current account you can do whatever you like with it.

However, you will probably be able to get a longer term or lower fee deal with a new card from elsewhere if you're eligible.
  • ChasingtheWelshdream
    Options
    However, you will probably be able to get a longer term or lower fee deal with a new card from elsewhere if you're eligible.
    Thank you, and yes the fee is not as low as other balance transfer offers. However, I've just started another thread in Loans, as we are considering taking out a home improvement loan in the near future. With this in mind, I'm assuming keeping credit applications to a minimum is better and another wondering whether the money transfer would be a better option. 
    Or, would the money transfer still count as an application, even though I already hold the card?
  • Alexd52
    Alexd52 Posts: 318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The money transfer would not result in a search on your credit file, they already have enough info on you to offer it in the first place
  • ChasingtheWelshdream
    Options
    Alexd52 said:
    The money transfer would not result in a search on your credit file, they already have enough info on you to offer it in the first place
    Thank you Alex, much appreciated. :-)
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,944 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 February 2020 at 2:33PM
    Options
    You need to ensure you fully understand the order of payments if you pay the current balance off before the promo period ends.
  • ChasingtheWelshdream
    Options
    molerat said:
    You need to ensure you fully understand the order of payments if you pay the current balance off before the promo period ends.
    Thank you, I will look into this. I did wonder if I was over-simplifying it. 
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,595 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Certainly wait until the money transfer appears on a statement as this can affect how payments are applied.
    It may also be worth waiting for the day before the promotional balance has expired & push a faster payment.
    If they are really mean about the order payments are applied you could actually wait for the day it has actually expired.
  • SuperAllyB
    Options
    No expert by any means but surely most (if not all) credit cards apply payments to statemented balances first, so better to pay off existing balance before money transfer appears on a statement?
  • Apologies for the delay in replying, we got a little side-tracked with doggy issues. I'm a little confused in light of the above two comments so I need to spend some time with their T&Cs. Thank you all for taking the time to reply. 
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure