Aluminium windows - already rusting

Options

I’ve had aluminium French doors and windows installed and 3 months on, the transom windows on both sides are showing early signs of corrosion (orange iron oxide not white aluminium oxide). 

The supplier, who installs but doesn’t manufacture, has suggested the orange deposit is building dust and suggests just wipe it off and leave it. I disagree that it’s building debris because of bubbling of the paintwork in the vicinity of the corrosion. I’ve spoke to the manufacturer even though the legal contract is with the fitter who was paid in full to supply and fit. The manufacturer has referred me to the fitter. I’m going to insist the fitter remedies the rust but I foresee an intransigent window company (an independent local firm). I paid half of the cost by credit card. 

What should I do?  Many thanks. 

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,489 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    It's not rust because aluminium doesn't rust.  The manufacturers were correct, if unhelpful, in referring you back to the person they had supplied the items to.  Their contract is with him as is yours.  First step is to go back to the installer.  If that doesn't work get and independany opinion.  If that opinion supports your view of a fault and the installer still refuses to address the problem, it's the small claims court (or whatever it's called these days)
  • ytfcmad
    ytfcmad Posts: 380 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Put a picture up.
  • Dalglish
    Options
    You’re right aluminium doesn’t rust. Point is I think you’ll agree the metal with orange corrosion can’t be aluminium despite my ordering aluminium doors and windows. The pic is for a three month installation. Concern is if this is 3 months, what will 3 years look like.  
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,489 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Something certainly doesn't look right.  It does look like corrosion of some kind.
  • Dalglish
    Options
    Any thoughts on who to approach for an independent opinion?
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    If there is any steel in the window frame, a magnet will stick to it. One possibility is that you have some mold growing along the groove - Try wiping it off  with a cloth dipped in some bleach. If the paintwork is bubbling up, then you most certainly have grounds for a warranty claim.

If the fitter and/or manufacturer won't acknowledge a claim, you still have the credit card company to fall back on before even thinking about going to court..
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    FreeBear said:
    If there is any steel in the window frame, a magnet will stick to it. One possibility is that you have some mold growing along the groove - Try wiping it off  with a cloth dipped in some bleach. If the paintwork is bubbling up, then you most certainly have grounds for a warranty claim.

I would suggest the OP pursues a course relevant to his/her Consumer Rights and not a warranty claim.  None of us know what the warranty T&C are.  
  • Dalglish
    Dalglish Posts: 194 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you for your comments. I’ll certainly try the magnet. I’ve also wiped the ‘rust’ only for it to reappear within 48 hrs.  If I was to pursue the credit card route, what options would I have? What Consumer Rights do I have and how would I exercise them? Many thanks to all for very helpful comments. 
  • ytfcmad
    ytfcmad Posts: 380 Forumite
    edited 19 February 2020 at 12:40PM
    Options
    What part of the frame has discoloured? Inside or outside?
    Has the metal bubbled?
    Where do you live?
    Then i should be able to tell you the problem.
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,670 Forumite
    Options
    Dalglish said:
    Thank you for your comments. I’ll certainly try the magnet. I’ve also wiped the ‘rust’ only for it to reappear within 48 hrs.  If I was to pursue the credit card route, what options would I have? What Consumer Rights do I have and how would I exercise them? Many thanks to all for very helpful comments. 
    CCA75 makes the card company as liable as the fitter.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure