Banking and refunds

I’m not sure if I’m posting this on the right discussions but I just had a question to ask. I joined a health agency who said I need to pay them money for my DBS/CRB to make sure I can work with vulnerable adults. I paid them £55 in July 2019 but they didn’t process it as I couldn’t seem to get the references they wanted me to. I requested for my money back in October 219 but my uncle fell ill, things got hectic with uni and family reasons (They know I told them this). Now it’s February and I’m finally getting my life back, I requested the money back but the they said it’s been 4 months since they heard of me and therefore I’m not entitled to my money back even thought they still have my money and the application hasn’t been processed. They’re telling me that they’d rather I applied for DBS through them than refund me. I argued that I’m not looking for a job atm because of uni and I paid them using my bank account so why can’t they refund me back the money that they still have back to my bank account? What are my rights in this situation? Please help?

Sorry for the long post. 

Comments

• Hi crazyrainbowlady and welcome to the forum :)

I only ever register for agencies that administer and pay for the DBS to processed.  I never pay for a DBS check.

Sorry, but I am afraid I do not know what the regulations say about getting a refund.  (I suppose you could go through the small claims court)

https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • I agree - your only hope of getting a refund is to go to small claims court.
    Prior to this write one last letter before action stating if you do not get the refund within 7 days you will let a court decide whether they have the right to keep your money.
  • Thanks. 
    Is it worth it though for only £55? I’m just annoyed now more than anything. 
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure