New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

Halifax PPI

8 replies 121 views
frugalpamfrugalpam Forumite
2.5K posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭
I put in a claim in respect of a mortgage going back to 1986 and claimed I was mis-sold PPI. Initially they could not even find records of it, until I produced evidence. Now they are saying they did not miss sell it. I just feel they are trying it on so intend to take it to the ombudsman. Anybody else encountered problems getting PPI back from Halifax?

Replies

• edited 17 February at 6:27PM
    MoneyineptitudeMoneyineptitude Forumite
    26K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 17 February at 6:27PM
    frugalpam said: they are saying they did not miss sell it. I just feel they are trying it on so intend to take it to the ombudsman. 
    It's up to you whether you refer this to the Ombudsman, but the fact that they initially could find no record is not cause for complaint since they eventually did. 

Note that most mortgage PPI complaints are rejected and that mortgage PPI is still available even today because it protects  probably the largest and most important loan in your lifetime..

Note also that your earlier success with another lender has no bearing on this complaint. 
  • SonOfSonOf Forumite
    2.6K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
     I just feel they are trying it on so intend to take it to the ombudsman. 
    Yet most MPPI complaints are rejected and the FOS reject most of them as well.

Anybody else encountered problems getting PPI back from Halifax?
    Halifax are generally a soft touch when it comes to PPI complaints.  However, MPPI has fewer issues than loan or credit card PPI and you can still buy MPPI today.

As you havent told us what your complaint reasons are or the reasons they rejected your complaint, it is really difficult for us to comment further.
  • -taff-taff Forumite
    11.3K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't get it back just because you ask for it, you get it back if your complaint is successful.
  • frugalpamfrugalpam Forumite
    2.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    -taff said:
    You don't get it back just because you ask for it, you get it back if your complaint is successful.
    I didn’t just ask them for it, I cited a lot of evidence and reasons why it was mis-sold. 
  • frugalpamfrugalpam Forumite
    2.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    SonOf said:

Halifax are generally a soft touch when it comes to PPI complaints.  However, MPPI has fewer issues than loan or credit card PPI and you can still buy MPPI today.

As you havent told us what your complaint reasons are or the reasons they rejected your complaint, it is really difficult for us to comment further.
    SonOf said:

SonOf said:

SonOf said:

SonOf said:

I was simply asking whether anyone else had had problems reclaiming from Halifax, so I am not sure why people are commenting that I have not discussed my complaint reasons!
  • MoneyineptitudeMoneyineptitude Forumite
    26K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    frugalpam said:

I was simply asking whether anyone else had had problems reclaiming from Halifax, so I am not sure why people are commenting that I have not discussed my complaint reasons!
    No one who has encountered "problems" is likely to respond nowadays I'm afraid. 

The response you did receive asked for your complaint reasons so that your failure could be dissected and understood.

Your previous success with another lender is irrelevant I'm afraid. 

Statistics (freely available online) show that most mortgage PPI complaints are rejected. Mortgage PPI is still available to purchase today..
  • Keep_pedallingKeep_pedalling Forumite
    7.7K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lots of people have “problems” claiming MPPI if by problem you mean their claim fails. You might be able to successfully appeal, but the chances are, that will fail as well. You can see the sort of reasons appeals are successful or fail by having a read through the case studies contained in this link.

https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/files/2867/issue118.pdf
  • -taff-taff Forumite
    11.3K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    frugalpam said:
    I didn’t just ask them for it, I cited a lot of evidence and reasons why it was mis-sold. 
    They obviously did not agree that your evidence was strong enough to show it was missold.
    All sorts of things can have a bearing on the sale. Was it Halifax who actually sold it to you, was it actually PPI and not life/CI/buildings/contents etc etc.