»

Changing private number plates - new car and part exchanging

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

Changing private number plates - new car and part exchanging

edited 16 February at 11:02PM in Motoring
4 replies 111 views
Nuggy96Nuggy96 Forumite
102 posts
10 Posts Second Anniversary
edited 16 February at 11:02PM in Motoring
I am looking for advice for private number plates and part exchanging my car for a new car.
Currently, I have a private number plate on my car, I am wanting to part exchange this car for a brand new car.
First question is, my dealer is saying that they would want the retention papers for my private number plate around 3-4 days before I pick up my new car, so that they can transfer my private number plate to my new car when I pick it up, is this normal/ how does this work?

Secondly, I am wanting to pick my car up around mid-March, according to DVLA, it will take around 4-6weeks for my new log book to get sent back out to me, would I still be able to part exchange my car and pick up the new car without the log book i.e. give them the log book at a later date, or would I have to wait till I get the log book back? Just slightly worried the log book isn't going to get back to me in time.

Last question, at the current route I am going at, I am going to have to pay £80 to retain my plates, £30 to change my car insurance policy back to original plates, and then another £30 to amend my car insurance to the new car. Is there any more efficient/cheap way?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance.

Replies

• facadefacade Forumite
    4.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nuggy96 said:

Last question, at the current route I am going at, I am going to have to pay £80 to retain my plates, £30 to change my car insurance policy back to original plates, and then another £30 to amend my car insurance to the new car. Is there any more efficient/cheap way?

Not really.
    Put your plate on retention now, screw the original plates back on, and change your insurance to the old number.
    Pick up the new car with the 20 plates, and insure it. Park on your drive and humble the neighbours with your brand new 20 plate car :) . When the insurance expires, remove the 20 plates (keep in safe place) swap for the private plates and insure it with the private number- there won't be a charge at the start of the policy and you can assign the plate online immediately.
    Saves the cost of buying new 'plates for the new car when you retain the private plate, they will come "free" with the 20 plate car.

I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • edited 17 February at 1:31PM
    Penelopa.PitstopPenelopa.Pitstop Forumite
    684 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    edited 17 February at 1:31PM
    1. Put your plate on retention online, you will get new car document for existing car in a few days. Cost £80. You may have to pay, to change your insurance, Admiral didn't charge me anything when I told them online.
    2. Prepare retention document for dealer, so they can register your new car on your private plate.

All very easy and can be done quickly. Don't worry about 4-6 weeks waiting for documents from DVLA. You will get them in 4-5 working days. Just do everything online.

• DD265DD265 Forumite
    1.9K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I can't remember which insurer it was, maybe Hastings, but when I changed numberplate within a fortnight of insuring a new car with them, they didn't charge me a second administration fee. It might be worth checking your insurer's policy on this, and as previously suggested, some insurers don't charge the admin fee if you make the update online.

I've just received three V5Cs and each one came within a week of when it would've been requested.
  • Ian_WIan_W Forumite
    3.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nuggy96 said:
    I am looking for advice for private number plates and part exchanging my car for a new car.
    Currently, I have a private number plate on my car, I am wanting to part exchange this car for a brand new car.
    First question is, my dealer is saying that they would want the retention papers for my private number plate around 3-4 days before I pick up my new car, so that they can transfer my private number plate to my new car when I pick it up, is this normal/ how does this work?

Secondly, I am wanting to pick my car up around mid-March, according to DVLA, it will take around 4-6weeks for my new log book to get sent back out to me, would I still be able to part exchange my car and pick up the new car without the log book i.e. give them the log book at a later date, or would I have to wait till I get the log book back? Just slightly worried the log book isn't going to get back to me in time.
    You can put your personal plate on retention instantaneously online (only operates 7am-7pm) using DVLA page - https://www.gov.uk/personalised-vehicle-registration-numbers/keep-or-assign
    They email your retention document and all the dealer needs is it's serial number and the validation character from your current V5C - front page, top right.
    Done it recently and the "new" logbook came through in about 4 days.  You need to put the new plates on your old car ASAP and it's probably advisable to keep the docs with you for a few days as changes to the insurance database aren't always instant so you may get pulled on ANPR.
    Yep, in future get an insurer that doesn't charge for mid term changes.  Aviva charged me slightly more for my new car but nothing for changing the plates or getting a new vehicle.  ;-)