»

Do cheque centres show the payer who the payee is? Please help! :(

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

Do cheque centres show the payer who the payee is? Please help! :(

edited 16 February at 10:27PM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
9 replies 381 views
AnsawAnsaw Forumite
5 posts
Name Dropper First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
edited 16 February at 10:27PM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
I am new to this site.
I can't seem to find anything online which answers my question: do cheque centres show the payer who the payee is? As in, when the payer i.e. me gets my bank statement, will it show the employee's name who I have paid to or will it simply show "cheque centre"?
Many thanks for any advice :smile:

Replies

• colstencolsten Forumite
    12.6K posts
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure what a cheque centre is but on your bank statement, you will almost certainly only see the cheque number. You need to keep a record of what cheque number has been written for what purpose.
  • born_againborn_again Forumite
    2.3K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    So just what are you talking about with the cheque center?
    Loan, pawn brokering or paying a cheque in?
  • edited 16 February at 10:31PM
    AnsawAnsaw Forumite
    5 posts
    Name Dropper First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    edited 16 February at 10:31PM
    @colsten thank you. Sorry, I forgot to add I am from Scotland so a cheque centre is a place where you can go to immediately receive your money as opposed to going to a bank & waiting 3 working days for your money.
  • AnsawAnsaw Forumite
    5 posts
    Name Dropper First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    @born_again yes, a pawn brokering service as well as a "cheque centre". Thank you.
  • Owain_MoneysaverOwain_Moneysaver Forumite
    10.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The person who issues the cheque (the drawer) will not normally see that the cheque has been cashed through a "cheque centre" unless they ask their bank for the cashed cheque (or a photo of it) which will probably show the cheque centre stamps on the back where the payee (the person who received the cheque) endorsed it over to the cheque centre.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    2.3K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ansaw said:
    @born_again yes, a pawn brokering service as well as a "cheque centre". Thank you.
    But what are YOU wanting to do?
  • AnsawAnsaw Forumite
    5 posts
    Name Dropper First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Ansaw said:  I want to use a cheque centre. I am trying to foresee any issues which may crop up e.g. say for example my admin employee forgets to record the cheque properly, a different employee goes to the cheque centre to cash the improperly recorded cheque. Since a cheque centre has been used my bank statement will only show the cheque number (correct me if I am wrong). In this instance would I be able to simply call my bank and ask who the cheque was paid out to?
    But what are YOU wanting to do?

• edited 19 February at 8:20AM
    AnsawAnsaw Forumite
    5 posts
    Name Dropper First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    edited 19 February at 8:20AM
    I want to use a cheque centre. I am trying to foresee any issues which may crop up e.g. say for example my admin employee forgets to record the cheque properly, a different employee goes to the cheque centre to cash the improperly recorded cheque. Since a cheque centre has been used my bank statement will only show the cheque number (correct me if I am wrong). In this instance would I be able to simply call my bank and ask who the cheque was paid out to? 

Thanks everyone for your time & knowledge.
    2.3K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you are cashing a cheque. Why are you using someone like the Cheque center who cream a % off to do something you can do for free at your bank?
    Your bank will only know who the payee is, if they have a copy of the cheque. 
    Never used a cheque cashing service such as this, so do not know if they pass the cheque to your bank, or simply keep it themselves and just send you a bank payment. Which will not have any payee details.