New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: Stay up to date with the latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
Stay updated with our guides: Coronavirus Help & Your Rights * Coronavirus Travel Rights
NEWSFLASH 27/03
MARTINS VIDEO FOR SELF-EMPLOYED * DELAY HOUSE MOVES * EUROSTAR UPDATE

Cycle carrier

6 replies 81 views
Kido250Kido250 Forumite
16 posts
Tenth Anniversary First Post
I usually take my bike in the book of my Kia sportage MK3, but as I'm going away for a week with both the bike (possibly 2) and the dog I need more space in the car. I was thinking about getting a rear mounted bike rack and had decided on the Saris Bones EX3-BIKE rack and ordered it from Halfords along with fitting, along the lines that if I could see how it was done and took pictures of it up I'd be able to do it myself. However Halfords rang me back and told me it wasn't compatible with my car (even though their website states it is). They were suggesting a Thule clip on 9106 instead which was £50.00 dearer. I'm looking for something that's easy to fit onto the car and will hold my bikes secure. Does anyone use either or know which is better? I don't need a 3 bike rack. At the most I'll be carrying a road bike and a hybrid.

Replies

• facadefacade Forumite
    4.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Thule gets good reviews, and secures the 'bikes wheels so the bikes can't move and whack into each other all the time. The Saris looks like the 'bikes can pivot back & forwards, damage the paint on the crossbar, and hit each other all the time.
    I have a Thule 3 bike tow bar mounted rack, It works well for 2 bikes, but I can't see how I'd ever get 3 adult bikes on it. Two bikes face opposite ways, so the pedals & handlebars miss each other, I can't see how to fit the third.  It is still much easier to drop the front wheels and chuck two bikes in the boot with a carpet over one though than use the rack ;)
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • edited 16 February at 8:42PM
    neilmclneilmcl Forumite
    14.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 16 February at 8:42PM
    Kido250 said:
    However Halfords rang me back and told me it wasn't compatible with my car (even though their website states it is).
    Who's website? There is no compatibility for any Saris carrier and the mk3 Sportage on the Saris website.

EDIT: Correction, The Saris EX3-BIKE is indeed compaitible for Kia sportage MY 2010 to 2015, which I assume is the mk3. Is the latest version Sportage the mk4?
  • edited 16 February at 8:50PM
    moleratmolerat Forumite
    22.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 16 February at 8:50PM
    What year is your car ?  Saris  lists the ex3 as fitting the mk3 2010-16.  And what is wrong with the Thule 9104, has bikes dangling the same as the Saris and is £100 cheaper than the 9106 where the bikes sit on a tray .
  • facadefacade Forumite
    4.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    molerat said:
    And what is wrong with the Thule 9104, has bikes dangling the same as the Saris and is £100 cheaper than the 9106 where the bikes sit on a tray .
    What stops them hitting each other if there is no tray? I wouldn't even consider one of those for fear of damaging the bikes, which is why I have what looks like a Rideon 3, although the Euroride 3 looks better as it holds the crossbars properly.

I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • Kido250Kido250 Forumite
    16 posts
    Tenth Anniversary First Post
    My Sportage is a 2015 65 plate. MK3 I believe. The newer ones are MK4s.
  • moleratmolerat Forumite
    22.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kido250 said:
    My Sportage is a 2015 65 plate. MK3 I believe. The newer ones are MK4s.

So Saris state it fits.  You need to query this with Halfords.