Ground floor toilet

Options
mjunaid
mjunaid Posts: 2 Newbie
First Post

Hi,

I am in the process of buying a house which has one upstairs bathroom, however, with 2 kids, I think a second toilet is necessary.

So, can anyone advice the best place to have a WC on the ground floor? Floor plan is here:

I was thinking about either in highlighted 1 or 2.

#1 is where the porch is leading into the hallway.
#2 is the lean to (picture below). This is a lean to, near the soil pipe, do I need some kind of planning permission for installing the toilet there?

Can someone advice please, a ball park figure on the cost would be extremely useful.

Thanks

Comments

• FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    At the front, you will have problems getting rid of the waste from the loo unless you have easy access to the foul water drain at the front door. The alternative would be a macerator (Saniflo), but I wouldn't want to deal with it when it gets blocked or breaks down. The other problem at the front is blocking access to the stairs. It will also make the area very dark & gloomy unless you go for glass partition walls (please, don't do that).
    At the back, the space looks to be an old lean-to type conservatory - At best, a temporary structure, and highly unlikely you would get building regs sign off for a toilet area. It would also block light in the kitchen. On the plus side, you'd have easy access to the foul water drain.

One popular space for a downstairs toilet is the space under the stairs. If your fuse board (consumer unit) is located there, that idea is going to be a nonstarter.

Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 16 February 2020 at 12:50PM
    Options
    The "usual" place would be position 1 that you highlighted, off the hallway by the front door but that looks quite tight and as you already have a reasonably large store/utility room then I'd probably put one there.
  • mjunaid
    mjunaid Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post
    edited 16 February 2020 at 1:07PM
    Options
    FreeBear said:
    At the front, you will have problems getting rid of the waste from the loo unless you have easy access to the foul water drain at the front door. The alternative would be a macerator (Saniflo), but I wouldn't want to deal with it when it gets blocked or breaks down. The other problem at the front is blocking access to the stairs. It will also make the area very dark & gloomy unless you go for glass partition walls (please, don't do that).
    At the back, the space looks to be an old lean-to type conservatory - At best, a temporary structure, and highly unlikely you would get building regs sign off for a toilet area. It would also block light in the kitchen. On the plus side, you'd have easy access to the foul water drain.

One popular space for a downstairs toilet is the space under the stairs. If your fuse board (consumer unit) is located there, that idea is going to be a nonstarter.

Thank you very much. Apologies if this is a stupid question but do I need build regs for installing a second toilet at the back (added additional picture)? 

• lesalanos
    lesalanos Posts: 863 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 16 February 2020 at 3:02PM
    Options
    mjunaid said:
    FreeBear said:

Thank you very much. Apologies if this is a stupid question but do I need build regs for installing a second toilet at the back (added additional picture)? 

Adding a toilet anywhere comes under building regs I believe.  When adding ours they have been easy enough to deal with 
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,094 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You'll thank me later for advising you to get a shower room not just a WC in position 2
  • folkestonelisa
    Options
    I am taking a piece from my kitchen and having one put in there. Doesn’t affect my kitchen space but gives me a downstairs toilet. It’s costing £5500 to have it done. 
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure