New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH
FOREIGN OFFICE TRAVEL ADVICE * FURLOUGH UPDATE * MORTGAGE LENDING

PPI claim after DRO.

7 replies 102 views
Trousers321Trousers321 Forumite
3 posts
First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
HI,

I have applied for a PPI claim with Santander. I took out a £3000 loan with them and got into serious arrears and ended up in a DRO.
Can I still claim for PPI even if I still didn’t pay back the £3000 because it was all written off in the DRO?
The DRO ended over a year ago.
Thanks,

T

Replies

• SonOfSonOf Forumite
    2.6K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can complain about a PPi missale.  However, if successful, they do not need to pay you the redress as it would go against the amount written off.  Only any excess over the written off value would become yours.
  • MoneyineptitudeMoneyineptitude Forumite
    26.1K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can I still claim for PPI even if I still didn’t pay back the £3000 because it was all written off in the DRO?
    Regardless of how long ago the debt was "written off", the Bank have the right to off set that (still existing) debt against any PPI redress you might be awarded. 

However, if the PPI redress exceeds the amount still owed, then you will receive anything additional to that...
  • Trousers321Trousers321 Forumite
    3 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Well I just spoke to Santander and they said I will receive the PPI refund and the bank will take nothing because the debt has been written off. So there is no debt.

So according to them. You are both wrong.
  • robber2robber2 Forumite
    480 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Just out of interest when did your PPI complaint get submitted to Santander?
  • MoneyineptitudeMoneyineptitude Forumite
    26.1K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We both apologise for our gross error. 
    However, please post again when you actually  receive a refund..
  • SonOfSonOf Forumite
    2.6K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well I just spoke to Santander and they said I will receive the PPI refund and the bank will take nothing because the debt has been written off. So there is no debt.

We are not wrong.
    The rules do allow the lenders to set off the redress against unpaid debts involving write offs.  Indeed, we have seen people post on this site saying that has happened.  Including those from Santander.     

So, the rules allow it and it has happened to others.     There are people that have received the full amount and not had set off but there is no way to know in advance what will happen to yours.   And I wouldn't rely on the Santander telephone line staff to give you the absolutely correct info.  You may get lucky but dont bank on it.

• Trousers321Trousers321 Forumite
    3 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Ok. Thank you.