»

buying brand new car

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: Stay up to date with the latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
Stay updated with our guides: Coronavirus Help & Your Rights * Coronavirus Travel Rights
NEWSFLASH 27/03
MARTINS VIDEO FOR SELF-EMPLOYED * DELAY HOUSE MOVES * EUROSTAR UPDATE

buying brand new car

13 replies 991 views
Nuggy96Nuggy96 Forumite
93 posts
10 Posts Second Anniversary
Hi,

I am going to look at a new car tomorrow at a Kia dealership. I am wondering how it works in terms of buying a new car via PCP. Like what's the process if I want the car, do I state I want the car, and pay for things when I get delivery. When do i sign anything? Just thinking if I buy brand new, it won't be ready straight away. I am just wondering because I play to buy via PCP then withdraw after 14 days.
I haven't bought a brand new car before so don't know how it works
Thanks in advance

Replies

• marlotmarlot Forumite
    4.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    First get a few broker quotes.  eg. coast2coast, so you know what price you should be aiming at.  If you have a trade-in, make sure you know its approximate value - eg. webuyanycar.

When you do the deal the garage will ask for a deposit.  Perhaps £500.  Be very sure you want it before you part with the money - assume it is non refundable.

As part of doing the deal, you'll get a provisional delivery date.

You sign the final PCP documents on the day you pick up the car.  You'll get 14 days from then.
  • edited 14 February at 10:51PM
    StubodStubod Forumite
    621 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    edited 14 February at 10:51PM
    ..first see if you can get a better price by visiting "carwow" online, (quick and easy to do)....you can then use the quoted price to see if you can negotiate a better deal.
    Normally you would agree specs, agree the price then pay a deposit. The balance then on delivery / collection. They (the dealer) will also try and persuade you to buy paint protection, (rip off), and gap insurance, (possible rip off), and possibly a service plan. So have a google and see if you think you may need any of it...nb with PCP you may find there is a service pack included, even if you then cancel / pay it off you should still get it...
  • Nuggy96Nuggy96 Forumite
    93 posts
    marlot said:
    First get a few broker quotes.  eg. coast2coast, so you know what price you should be aiming at.  If you have a trade-in, make sure you know its approximate value - eg. webuyanycar.

When you do the deal the garage will ask for a deposit.  Perhaps £500.  Be very sure you want it before you part with the money - assume it is non refundable.

You sign the final PCP documents on the day you pick up the car.  You'll get 14 days from then.
    Hi Marlot,

Thanks for your reply. To clarify I have found a deal via Carwow about £2k off, and a dealer contribution of £1750. I could theoretically get the car with £0 deposit from myself. So do I sign anything if I decide I want to purchase the car tomorrow. Then if I say want to back out, which I don't plan on, whats the commitment?
    93 posts
    Stubod said:
    ..first see if you can get a better price by visiting "carwow" online, (quick and easy to do)....you can then use the quoted price to see if you can negotiate a better deal.
    Normally you would agree specs, agree the price then pay a deposit. The balance then on delivery / collection. They (the dealer) will also try and persuade you to buy paint protection, (rip off), and gap insurance, (possible rip off), and possibly a service plan. So have a google and see if you think you may need any of it...nb with PCP you may find there is a service pack included, even if you then cancel / pay it off you should still get it...
    Thanks Stubod, I have used carwow and have 2k off from then. What exactly would I sign tomorrow if I decide to go through with the purchase, and then what commitment will I sign to. If say, I want to back up, which to clarify I don't intend to, just in case. Marlot has kindly said that the 14 day timer, doesn't start until I receive the car, and sign some final docs on the day.

Sorry for multiple questions, first time buying a car on my own
  • StubodStubod Forumite
    621 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    I think that once you sign you are committed to the contract? At least if you cancelled before the car was delivered I would assume your deposit is gone? Better to confirm with the dealer. But I would assume you either want the car or you don't. If going the PCP route I was advised, (by the dealer!), to pay the first month and then pay it off in full, (and you keep all the benefits). Interesting that the quotes I am getting from carwow are showing he same price whether pcp or cash...)
  • edited 15 February at 12:37PM
    neilmclneilmcl Forumite
    14.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 15 February at 12:37PM
    Nuggy96 said:
    marlot said:

Hi Marlot,

Thanks for your reply. To clarify I have found a deal via Carwow about £2k off, and a dealer contribution of £1750. I could theoretically get the car with £0 deposit from myself. So do I sign anything if I decide I want to purchase the car tomorrow. Then if I say want to back out, which I don't plan on, whats the commitment?
    Yes, you will sign a new car order form and they'll discuss the finance as well as other things but you won't sign the finance agreement until either on or just before collection. They'll also want a deposit from you.
    93 posts
    ok, great thanks for your help people. Went for the test drive today, they're asking for a £100 deposit to do a credit check and order the car then sign on the day I collect. :)
  • slingaslinga Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen online adverts stating that you can get big discounts if you buy a brand new 2018 or 2019 model if they still have them in stock now that 2020 models are available.

Is this correct and if so where should I look?
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
  • edited 16 February at 4:45PM
    moleratmolerat Forumite
    22.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 16 February at 4:45PM
    What about looking for a pre-reg.  My car was list price £30,875, cheapest new from the likes of CarWow was £25K.  I paid £20,343, registered 30 Nov and purchased by me 16 Dec. When I viewed it in the dealers it had plates on but was still in all the factory plastic wrap and stickers.
  • DerekJimDerekJim Forumite
    1 posts
    First Post First Anniversary
    MoneySaving Newbie
    molerat said:
    What about looking for a pre-reg.  My car was list price £30,875, cheapest new from the likes of CarWow was £25K.  I paid £20,343, registered 30 Nov and purchased by me 16 Dec. When I viewed it in the dealers it had plates on but was still in all the factory plastic wrap and stickers.
    Who did you buy it through? I might have to buy a ‘new’ car soon