Fence Repairs

After years of patching up my old fence we finally got the whole thing replaced about 4 years ago for just under a grand. About 29m of closeboard.
Thinking that would be the end of it, here we are only a relatively short time later and several posts have completely rotted out and the base and the whole thing is being tossed about by the wind and we've had to brace it with ropes and struts.
First quote for repairs, the chap said he could replace 5 posts for £300, without removing the old ones, just sinking new ones next to them. He also said he always uses boots on the bottom of his posts and this should give them a life expectancy of around 15 years.
After some chasing, I also managed to get hold of the original contractor, who no longer works in fencing. He has offered to replace the posts at £45 each, but he doesn't use the boots so i'm not sure we want to bother.
Are these good prices?
TBH i'd rather go for concrete posts but the first guy didn't seem interested in quoting for those. Would this push the price up by much?

Comments

• OK so, the original fencer never showed up. The fence has now completely collapsed, so I,m left needing 11.5m of new fencing. I've had one quote so far for £1,250, which includes concrete posts and gravel boards, then semi privacy fencing and disposal of old fence. Does that sound reasonable?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure