»

windscreen replacement, use insurance or not?

New Post Advanced Search

Welcome to the new MSE Forum!

If you were registered on the old Forum BEFORE 6th February 2020, you will need to reset your password (here) before you are able to log in. When you've reset your password, you can close this message with the 'X' in the top-right corner to make it disappear. If you need any help getting started, click here.

windscreen replacement, use insurance or not?

9 replies 142 views
hi,
While on motorway on 60mph, suddenly heard a loud bang and by the time i realize there was a round smash around 1cm circle towards bottom passenger seat on windscreen. could be a stone from recent potholes. initially there was a small crack towards top of around 2cms, continued the journey for another 20 miles and pulled over at a services station went for a cup of coffee and muffin and by the time i returned, the crack has propogated to nearly half the screen now. 

Now it is certain that i need to replace it, although it does not cause obstruction to my visibility i understand it is dangerous. now hte question is whether to use the insurance to replace. I read my insurance policy which says i need to pay £75 excess. Question is does it count towards a claim? 
i have maximum no claims protected. however i had 2 claims in the past 3 years one was a hit and run by uninsured driver which fallen on me (self claim) as a claim and another incident i was at fault. the uninsured driver hit as a self claim is going to be 3 years in 4 months time. as i had been a careful driver and built up maximum NCB discount really dont want to loose it.

if i claim on my insurance for windscreen replacement, do I have to mention this every time i apply for quotes? I definitely dont want to do that as i already have two claims and 1. worried that windscreen replacement counts as another claim and forfeits all my NCB as this is going to be my 3rd claim in 3 years
2. I will have to mention it on quotes for next 4 years and already having 2 claims on me in less than 3 years and this now could push me into a category of risk drivers and therefore increases premiums for next few years.

i had enquired locally and the cheapest quote including fitting is £135, i understand it is only £60 more than my insurance excess. but I am currently cash strapped and £60 is a big money. please suggest what is my best option not to cause increase in my premiums for next few years and forfeiting my NCB discount.

thanks

Replies

• edited 14 February at 7:03AM
    LintonLinton
    12K posts
    Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10000 Posts Hung up my suit!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 14 February at 7:03AM
    A quick Google shows that a windscreen replacement does not affect your no claims status. See  https://www.autoglass.co.uk/about-us/faqs/making-a-claim/ for example. Have you checked your insurance policy details? They are likely to have a standard process for handling windscreen replacement.
  • baldudebaldude
    182 posts
    Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    I find below on my policy
    Claims for glass only, replacing locks in your vehicle and any payments we make for emergency medical treatment under the Road Traffic Acts will not reduce your no claim discount.

in anohter part of doucment
    GLASS:
    A claim solely under this section will not affect your no claim discount

can anyone help? whether to go with insurers or go private? thanks
  • nick74nick74
    454 posts
    Forumite
    ✭✭
    I've made a few windscreen claims in the past and it's never appeared to made any noticeable increase to the renewal premium. £135 fitted isn't a bad price for a windscreen (some Range Rover screens cost around £2k to replace for example!) but if you are strapped for cash I'd claim on the insurance.
  • ZorilloZorillo
    671 posts
    Forumite
    500 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭
    What help do you need? Your own documents tell you it won't affect your NCD.

It's a straightforward choice between paying £75 for a new windscreen or £135 pounds for a new windscreen, and the choice is entirely yours :)
  • baldudebaldude
    182 posts
    Forumite
    If I make a windscreen claim on insurance, do I need to mention it as a claim when I next go for quotes?
  • lisyloolisyloo
    26.2K posts
    Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 25000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do you think if you made a windscreen CLAIM

My advice is that you should use a broker if you can’t understand straight forward questions.
  • baldudebaldude
    182 posts
    Forumite
    lisyloo said:
    What do you think if you made a windscreen CLAIM

My advice is that you should use a broker if you can’t understand straight forward questions.

Thanks but no need to be rude

• edited 14 February at 10:56AM
    lisyloolisyloo
    26.2K posts
    Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 25000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 14 February at 10:56AM
    It wasn’t rude it was serious and sensible advice.
    numerous times we’ve seen people get into difficulty because they’ve gone DIY and made bad decisions.
    Ive put my money with my mouth is on that I pay an IFA to manage my investments as I value their advice and protection from both bad decisions and fraud/scams.
    whats rude about suggesting a broker who offer a valuable service?
    some people have lost their life savings through scams so DIY is definitely not for everyone as lots of people seem to assume

if it says “have you had any claims in the last x years” then you say yes (or call them to confirm)
    if it says “have you had any claims excluding glass” which it might then you answer that honestly.

• Marvel1Marvel1
    5K posts
    Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 2500 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    baldude said:
    If I make a windscreen claim on insurance, do I need to mention it as a claim when I next go for quotes?
    Yes, also note down the date and year you first make the claim for future reference as they ask for last 5 years.