New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: Stay up to date with the latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
Stay updated with our guides: Coronavirus Help & Your Rights * Coronavirus Travel Rights
NEWSFLASH 27/03
MARTINS VIDEO FOR SELF-EMPLOYED * DELAY HOUSE MOVES * EUROSTAR UPDATE

Likely IPA Amount

edited 12 February at 2:21PM in Bankruptcy & Living With It
4 replies 271 views
barryboyxbarryboyx Forumite
3 posts
First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
edited 12 February at 2:21PM in Bankruptcy & Living With It
I've just completed the StepChange calculator and calculates that once I've have paid my priority household bills, you have £ 228 available each month.  This includes £255 of PIP income every 4 weeks.  I've not included private treatments, such as chiropractor and massage which is pretty much what I use my PIP income for.
How likely is it that my IPA amount would match the £228, as calculated by StepChange as my available money per month?
Thanks in advance
BB
[EDIT: Just noticed that I didn't include my monthly petrol bill (Motability car) for commuting, which is roughly £120/month, leaving £108 as my available money per month]

Replies

• devon_guydevon_guy Forumite
    262 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    It depends if you sole income is made up of benefits or not.  If it is then there will be no IPA.  If you work but also claim benefits then all the income will be taken into account.
  • barryboyxbarryboyx Forumite
    3 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Thanks Devon_guy - I also work, so the PIP is about 15% of my income.  That said - my contract only runs until August, so I may be out of work from then :neutral:
  • mwarbymwarby Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    You could try adding the private treatsments to your SOA, I think it would come down to wether you require these or not, and if there are alternatives on NHS. This section of insolvency manual may help you '31.7.122 Health care provision, including dentists and opticians' but it's like to come down to the ORs judgment once discussion has taken place
  • edited 18 February at 4:09PM
    thevdmthevdm Forumite
    136 posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary
    edited 18 February at 4:09PM
    From what I gather, if you are in receipt of PIP you can simply put down "Adult care costs" to the same value of the PIP. See here - https://debtcamel.co.uk/should-i-include-dla-money-in-my-incomeexpenditure-sheet/
    If you haven't included any of the care costs from pip in your SOA then your available each month is £-27 which would mean you don't have enough for an IPA.

There is also a certain floor in how much you have excess before you will be asked to pay an IPA, for instance if the IPA costs £750 to set up and you have less than £250 a year excess then it would cost more to setup an IPA than would be received making it not worth their time.
    I may be wrong sometimes, I learn a little every time I'm corrected.