New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

Ppi claims

8 replies 172 views
Chelley101Chelley101 Forumite
1 posts
MoneySaving Newbie
If I signed a form with a ppi claims company then decided to go with the complaints procedure of the bank to reclaim ppi. How binding is the form with the ppi company?

Replies

• SonOfSonOf Forumite
    2.6K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    You would need to read your contract to find out
  • edited 12 February at 2:46AM
    MoneyineptitudeMoneyineptitude Forumite
    26K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12 February at 2:46AM
    Very binding indeed ...
    You've clearly signed a legally-binding contract which you are seeking to renege upon...
  • -taff-taff Forumite
    11.3K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Legally.
  • pl1965pl1965 Forumite
    2 posts
    Second Anniversary First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I live in Scotland.The firm dealing with my PPI claim for my late brother tell me that I need to get a "GRANT OF PROBATE " form from the SHERIFF CLERKS OFFICE, so as to prove i am next of kin.There they tell me that I need all the details of the amount that is being claimed from each company.Surely this is the job of the claims firm,but they say that without this form they cannot proceed.I have had two visits to the CLERKS OFFICE.First young lady i spoke to was helpful,and suggested I contact my solicitor who had dealt with my brother,s estate.They provided me with a" DRAFT INVENTORY OF ESTATE".I returned to the CLERKS OFFICE and spoke to another young lady.She really did not have a clue.I should have asked the first young woman her name, but did not .I feel I am in a catch 22. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • edited 13 February at 12:20PM
    zx81zx81 Forumite
    26.9K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 13 February at 12:20PM
    The claims firm won't do anything but post your complaint and take your money. 

Send your grant of probate to the lender(s) you are complaining to.  If your complaint is upheld, they will calculate the redress.

Then you just need need to send a chunk of the redress to the claims company for their hard work.

• JmmaxlJmmaxl Forumite
    3 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Hi can anyone help. I completed ppi enquiry forms in July 2019, got a letter back from the Clydesdale bank to say I had ppi with them on a credit card and two other accounts were marked unable to determine and they began an investigation, received a letter in October 2019 stating they would need 12 further weeks to investigate. Have called them weekly since then and been told it’s still being investigated. Called today and they have asked me to provide proof of account balances and how long I held them for as they can not determine this from their records as goes back to late 1990’s.  Has anyone else had this issue and how does it affect my claim. Thankyou. 
  • edited 13 February at 3:11PM
    26K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 13 February at 3:11PM
    Jmmaxl said: 
    received a letter in October 2019 stating they would need 12 further weeks to investigate. Have called them weekly since then and been told it’s still being investigated.
    Why have you been ringing them up continually  if they told you they needed a further twelve weeks?  :o

Your duplicate thread has more comprehensive answers..
  • edited 13 February at 3:12PM
    26K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 13 February at 3:12PM
    pl1965 said: they tell me that I need all the details of the amount that is being claimed from each company.Surely this is the job of the claims firm
    All the Claims firm do is represent you in PPI complaints. They cannot do any research of your  brother's old personal finances. Presumably  you gave them permission to ask the Bank (on your behalf) if your brother  ever had PPI, but that's as much as they can and will do. It's your own responsibility therefore to provide the correct Grant Of Probate to each lender...