Forum Home» Food Shopping & Groceries

Money Moral Dilemma: Is it OK to fill my freezer with 'yellow sticker' bargains?

New Post Advanced Search

Money Moral Dilemma: Is it OK to fill my freezer with 'yellow sticker' bargains?

edited 18 February at 4:07PM in Food Shopping & Groceries
68 replies 52.2K views
MSE_SarahMSE_Sarah MSE Staff
289 posts
Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Newshound!
MSE Staff
edited 18 February at 4:07PM in Food Shopping & Groceries
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

I occasionally see large quantities of meat (20 or more packs) reduced heavily in the yellow sticker section. Is it wrong to take all of them and freeze what I don't need today, or should I only take a few and leave the rest so others can get a bargain too?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

B)  If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

>:) Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
Join the MSE Forum
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag a news story: [email protected]

Replies

• annieshbannieshb Forumite
    7 posts
    First Post
    Question is do you use it all or do you pop it in freezer then forget about it? 
    Like most items n a shop it’s first come basis and so not a  moral dilemma I hate waste though.
  • WizzbangWizzbang Forumite
    4.7K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is hardly a moral dilemma! You are free to buy what you like, unless the shop imposes limits. However, I would urge caution - I buy less and less yellow stickers, they're not good value because they're so close to their date, they go off in the freezer. I got sick of removing bread or baked goods, only to find the were covered in green mould. Or worse, smelly meat. It's not very money-saving and you really should freeze food when it's as fresh as possible, not on its last legs.
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 £36,546.45

• Gingerscot_2Gingerscot_2 Forumite
    6 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    My main problem is making room in my freezer as it is usually stuffed with reduced produce. Also, I have had meat in the freezer for well over a year and, once defrosted, have never noticed any difference from the fresh stuff and I've never had bread go mouldy in it.
  • mixiahmixiah Forumite
    3 posts
    Eighth Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Depends how desperate you are. Some folk will really rely on surviving on reduced stuff so maybe take what you need rather than buying all 20. Especially if it's a regular thing and you're confident you can get more soon.