»

R40 help filling in form please, non tax payer , no income.

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: Stay up to date with the latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
Stay updated with our guides: Coronavirus Help & Your Rights * Coronavirus Travel Rights
NEWSFLASH 27/03
MARTINS VIDEO FOR SELF-EMPLOYED * DELAY HOUSE MOVES * EUROSTAR UPDATE

R40 help filling in form please, non tax payer , no income.

4 replies 71 views
mazzzzaaamazzzzaaa Forumite
5 posts
First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
I have return to uk from overseas last year and have paid no tax here for over 5 years, I paid tax overseas in that county not uk tax. I have no income and pay no tax , I am a carer but get no allowance. I have received ppi payout last year over many accounts , total £45k, ish,  ( no savings money unfortunately paid debts ) the banks have deducted the 20% at source. 
1. Can i claim the 20% tax back 
2. How do i do this as my p60 dates back many years and shows no income , and on the gateway they have a record of no income and no tax paid last ten years.
3. Do i need to do a self assessment form ?
3. Can some one help me with this ,  I tried the online form but got stuck on the p60 part , prefer the paper one .
4.  I have the ppi statements and breakdown.
please help thanks 

Replies

• McKneffMcKneff Forumite
    38.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    P60 is irrelevant to any year except the year that is printed on it. 
    You get a new p60 every year at tax year end. 
    So ignore it,
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Dazed_and_C0nfusedDazed_and_C0nfused Forumite
    720 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    1.  Probably.
    2.  Probably by using form R40.  But maybe an R43 or Self Assessment return.  Where were you resident for tax purposes in the tax year the statutory interest/compensation was paid?
    3.  Probably not but see question 2.
    3 (again!).  Use the paper one then.  What is causing the problem with the P60?  If that is for a different tax year to the one the statutory interest/compensation was paid in why do you feel it is relevant?
    4.  See above.  You need to make sure that whatever you end up filling in you only declare the taxable income, not the PPI payout itself which isn't taxable and doesn't have tax deducted.

And remember it is one claim per tax year (if you got taxable interest in more than one tax year).
  • mazzzzaaamazzzzaaa Forumite
    5 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Hi many thanks that was very help full ,
    I paid tax in Australia 
    thanks 
  • Dazed_and_C0nfusedDazed_and_C0nfused Forumite
    720 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    It might be an R43 then, have a look on gov.uk