How to get invoices paid and assist Clients in financial difficulty

Options
2»

Comments

• Feebs77
    Options

Whatever happens with this invoice, maybe it is time to look at your charging structure.  Maybe take a percentage as a deposit at the beginning and staged payments if it is a major piece of work.

Agreed - I'm quite new to business and invoicing and just assume if you do a job someone is happy with - they will pay the invoice you send them.....and not when they happen to get paid from some other source.
  • Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 20 February 2020 at 2:59PM
    Options
    Feebs77 said:

Whatever happens with this invoice, maybe it is time to look at your charging structure.  Maybe take a percentage as a deposit at the beginning and staged payments if it is a major piece of work.

Agreed - I'm quite new to business and invoicing and just assume if you do a job someone is happy with - they will pay the invoice you send them.....and not when they happen to get paid from some other source.
    Many large firms will have a system of paying invoices at the end of the month or on a certain date every month.  That means that if you send them an invoice  near the beginning of the month with terms of 30 days to pay and that deadline falls in the next month then they will only pay at the end of the next month.  That means it will be nearly two months before you get paid.  Also some firms will have a hierarchy of who gets paid first.  The small suppliers often come at the bottom of that hierarchy meaning that it can take three four  months to get paid sometimes.  
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure