»

Credit Balance Not Automatically returned

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH
FOREIGN OFFICE TRAVEL ADVICE * FURLOUGH UPDATE * MORTGAGE LENDING

Credit Balance Not Automatically returned

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
4 replies 159 views
christurnerchrischristurnerchris Forumite
12 posts
First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
If you switched supplier a few years ago BEWARE - any credit balance was NOT automatically returned to you
Just found out AVRO :mad:had £68 of my money from 2018 :mad:

Apparently the rules back then were you had to ask for the money - cos you know, why would you want your own money back when you could leave it with a company you had just decided wern't good enough anymore!!!!!!!!! - :rotfl:What DUMMY in OFGEM :rotfl:or who ever let them get away with that ??????
So if you have your old account info - send em a quick email saying GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK!!! Why hasnt the regulator told them to give it back - they have our back account details - cheques cant be that hard?
How much money are these companies holding like this ?

Replies

• CardewCardew Forumite
    28K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of those companies have now gone bust - so added complications.
  • Gerry1Gerry1 Forumite
    1.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Another reason why the dozy Ofgem should have made Variable DD the default.
  • christurnerchrischristurnerchris Forumite
    12 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    And companies going bust - taking peoples money with them -  >:)
  • Grey118Grey118 Forumite
    2 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    If you switched supplier a few years ago BEWARE - any credit balance was NOT automatically returned to you
    Just found out AVRO :mad:had £68 of my money from 2018 :mad:

Apparently the rules back then were you had to ask for the money - cos you know, why would you want your own money back when you could leave it with a company you had just decided wern't good enough anymore!!!!!!!!! - :rotfl:What DUMMY in OFGEM :rotfl:or who ever let them get away with that ??????
    So if you have your old account info - send em a quick email saying GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK!!! Why hasnt the regulator told them to give it back - they have our back account details - cheques cant be that hard?
    How much money are these companies holding like this ?
    I've just posted on another thread but I had a similar situation with Avro last year. Switched away from them at the start of the summer and had still not received a final bill and credit refund over 3 months later.
    I can't speak for 2018 but in 2019 an energy company should have issued a final bill within approx 6 weeks of account termination and any credit should have been refunded within 10 days of the final bill. 
    In my case (and a number of others) Avro just waited until I contacted them before issuing the final bill and refunding. They maintained they had done nothing wrong. The Energy Ombudsman disagreed.
    I wonder how many customers were in credit with previous energy companies but just forgot to ensure it was refunded?