Unsure how to proceed

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Small Biz & Charities' MoneySaving
1 reply 166 views
MiniMX5MiniMX5 Forumite
1 Post
Hello people, Basically I'm very much a "how's business?" "Yeah, fine. it's afloat" type guy no matter how the week has been, maybe everyone is actually but that's why I'm asking here instead of a family member/friend.

I've been self employed/small business owner for the past 4 years, things have ticked over and bills get paid and I carry on type thing. I rent a unit as a workshop/premises so I have good storage space away from home. I manufacture items which are sold on eBay, the market is extremely tough and there is a lot of people doing it with much less overheads than I have I imagine (garage, spare room etc).

My Dad recently did me the hugely generous act of paying off my mortgage but I do want to get that back to him as the principle type thing or at least be able to offer it.

I have 8k to invest in something. My work currently only takes a few hours each day and I either want to do more or do something else entirely in the mornings say to make my day complete and hopefully be in a better position 4 years from now.

So I guess I'm looking for idea's on possible avenues to take? I've done a lot of buying & selling over the years and have multiple accounts on eBay which have a few thousand feedback each but I am unsure what items I would like to sell and would work well.

My brother has a locksmith buisness and all the machines for cutting keys for cars, he mentioned that I could do key programming to car as a possible as hes not computer minded but I am. He just wants to put the machine to work more and get the business from the key cutting rather than programming the key. This sounds okay I guess but I know nothing about key programming or the readers required etc

I could invest it in new machines for what I do just now but then I'm unsure if it would ever be a decent money earner, for 4 years it's done okay but not great and I do need to start earning more or making my money work for me more so I don't know if this is the correct route.

Basically if you had a workshop/storage space and a little money to invest into something what would it be?

Replies

• edited 5 February 2020 at 4:10PM
    J_BJ_B Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 5 February 2020 at 4:10PM
    Thinking outside the box, as you must do ;)

You rent a unit but only use it for "a few" hours a day.
    Is that a waste?

Other people do similar from home/garage, thus having lower overheads?

Your brother is offering a (sort of) business opportunity.

Could you give up, or downsize your unit, or perhaps share something with him??
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals