Eon - Lowell - Old bill chasing

Options
Hi,

Recently received a letter from Lowell stating they had bought an outstanding debt from Eon for an old property I used to live in.

The outstanding debt is from March 2015. The account was closed with Eon on 24th March 2015 when I moved out of the property, and a final bill was paid in April.

Lowell have stated another final bill from Eon was generated in November 2016 (20 months after I had moved out...!) and sent to my forwarding address. I never received this bill.

How do I go about disputing this debt? Does the 12 month backbilling principle apply here and if so, do I complain to Eon or Lowell?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    marinerhuw wrote: »
    Hi,

Recently received a letter from Lowell stating they had bought an outstanding debt from Eon for an old property I used to live in.

The outstanding debt is from March 2015. The account was closed with Eon on 24th March 2015 when I moved out of the property, and a final bill was paid in April.

Lowell have stated another final bill from Eon was generated in November 2016 (20 months after I had moved out...!) and sent to my forwarding address. I never received this bill.

How do I go about disputing this debt? Does the 12 month backbilling principle apply here and if so, do I complain to Eon or Lowell?

You better be checking credit files here. There's every chance that Eon have trashed your record, so credit could be difficult, if not impossible, to obtain.

From what we read on here, it seems like Eon are quietly taking over from British Gas as the energy company most likely to maliciously blacklist you at the CRAs.
  • marinerhuw
    Options
    Have checked my credit report and there is nothing listed on there. My score is still excellent, so this hasn’t affected it at all.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Have checked my credit report and there is nothing listed on there. My score is still excellent, so this hasn’t affected it at all.

Not sure who Eon report you to - I have a feeling it might be Equifax, but if not already done so you'll need to check Experian, Equifax, Transunion and maybe even Crediva.
  • marinerhuw
    Options
    Thanks, I will check.

But with regards to actually disputing the bill, am I correct that the 12 month backbilling rule would apply?
  • Streaky_Bacon
    Streaky_Bacon Posts: 656 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 31 January 2020 at 3:49PM
    Options
    Thanks, I will check.

But with regards to actually disputing the bill, am I correct that the 12 month backbilling rule would apply?

Yes, it is before the compulsory backbilling rules were brought in by Ofgem, but EON were signed up to the voluntary code on backbilling during the relevant period.

Start a complaint to both EON and to Lowell, stating that you dispute the debt, that the bill is unenforceable due to voluntary backbilling code EON signed up to, and demanding that they stop any further collection activity until the complaint is dealt with.

The complaint should be in a letter (do not speak with them on the phone at all), head the letter "Formal Complaint" and get a certificate of posting. You can also email them a scanned copy of the letter if you wish.

Does the Lowell letter explicitly say that they bought the debt, or are they just collecting?
  • marinerhuw
    Options
    Thanks. I will start a complaint with both then.

The letter states they have bought the debt. Does this make a difference?

I thought Ofgems backbilling principle started in 2007? Was it not compulsory until more recently?
  • Streaky_Bacon
    Streaky_Bacon Posts: 656 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 31 January 2020 at 4:10PM
    Options
    It didn't become compulsory until 2018.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications-and-updates/ofgem-bans-suppliers-backbilling-customers-beyond-12-months

It doesn't make a significant difference that they bought the debt, but the complaint to Lowell can also be taken to the Financial Ombudsman.

In your complaint, also make sure that you demand all evidence they seek to rely on to prove the debt, and make sure you demand a copy of all bills.
  • marinerhuw
    Options
    Thanks. So I should complain to Lowell and EON initially? And then if needed take it to the financial ombudsman?
  • Streaky_Bacon
    Options
    Thanks. So I should complain to Lowell and EON initially? And then if needed take it to the financial ombudsman?

Yes, you have to go through the complaint process with EON and Lowell first.
  • dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    From other recent posts, once Eon sell a debt to Lowell they entirely wash their hands of the matter.

However a 'Letter' means bu**er all - You are entitled to the actual Eon bill with meter reads, dates and tariff prices - With Eons present stance, Lowell will have difficulty with this unless they already have a copy.

Lowell will have bought this alleged debt for pence in the pound, in the hope that you will cough up 100%

Did you move home again after the one in March 2015, 'cos if you did not, I'm suspicious of the line " Sent to your forwarding address", as prior to Lowells involvement, Eon would have sent chase letters and whilst one may have gone astray, there would have been several.

Lowell will up the anti by threatening court and a CCJ,
    WRITE to them saying you think this demand is spurious until you have seen a copy of the actual bill, and even then consider it to be subject to the Back-Billing rules.

In the end, Lowell will settle for anything they can get - So be tough
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport