Is Asda now the discount supermarket in reality?

Options
Bacman
Bacman Posts: 537 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
Might seem a silly question but have a think.

A few years ago Aldi and Lidl built up their reputation by offering similar products for cheaper than other supermarkets which was great for general shopping, although their range of products were very limited compared to a large supermarket.

The prices have been creeping up from these "discount" supermarkets. I went into my local Aldi yesterday for some mangos as they were on offer and i'd forgot to get them earlier at Asda. I had a look about on their other fruit and vegetables; I have a pretty good memory for what I pay for items so could compare items, like for like pretty well.

Out of all the items I saw, some were a tiny bit cheaper than Asda prices however most were noticably more expensive; comparing veg and fruit which after all is not a processed product so a carrot is a carrot for example. Yes, compare Sainsburys, Tesco or Morrisons to Aldi or Lidl and yes, a lot cheaper, but not Asda. Asda has also thousands more products so offers more choice on items, good own-brand cheap items. My only gripe with Asda is their often empty shelves and poor re-stocking.

IMO, the best discount supermarket for the "real world" basket saving is Asda. No I don't work for them or anything to do with them, just giving my experiences. I didn't check the processed foods as those will be harder to compare and also I do all our cooking so I don't get pre-made foods, at least rarely anyway.

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Can't concur with that. Yes it tends to be only a few more pennies more expensive for f&v than Aldi / Lidl, but anything else has much bigger margins, including its own generic items.

I cannot see Asda surviving in its current state.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I suspect Asda might be cheaper than the other major supermarkets but not Aldi (I can't comment about Lidl). Even if the OP is correct that Asda is cheaper for fruit and vegetables (they'd have to be trying very hard to beat the special offer 60p nets of limes and low cost pineapples, mind you) Asda's own brand products, judging from when I last shopped there, don't compare with Aldi's.
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,897 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 1 February 2020 at 10:04AM
    Options
    Bacman wrote: »
    Might seem a silly question but have a think.

A few years ago Aldi and Lidl built up their reputation by offering similar products for cheaper than other supermarkets which was great for general shopping, although their range of products were very limited compared to a large supermarket.

The prices have been creeping up from these "discount" supermarkets. I went into my local Aldi yesterday for some mangos as they were on offer and i'd forgot to get them earlier at Asda. I had a look about on their other fruit and vegetables; I have a pretty good memory for what I pay for items so could compare items, like for like pretty well.

Out of all the items I saw, some were a tiny bit cheaper than Asda prices however most were noticably more expensive; comparing veg and fruit which after all is not a processed product so a carrot is a carrot for example. Yes, compare Sainsburys, Tesco or Morrisons to Aldi or Lidl and yes, a lot cheaper, but not Asda. Asda has also thousands more products so offers more choice on items, good own-brand cheap items. My only gripe with Asda is their often empty shelves and poor re-stocking.

IMO, the best discount supermarket for the "real world" basket saving is Asda. No I don't work for them or anything to do with them, just giving my experiences. I didn't check the processed foods as those will be harder to compare and also I do all our cooking so I don't get pre-made foods, at least rarely anyway.

I agree with you wholeheartedly and also in my personal opinion Asda quality is generally better than Aldi and Lidl.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • coachman12
    coachman12 Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I have no axe to grind as most of our food shopping is delivered by the wonderful Ocado.
    But I think Asda is a pretty good supermarket, who also sell clothes and household goods etc. Asda cannot be compared with the cheapo Lidl and Aldi.  I disagree with the suggestion that Asda cannot continue in its present state. In fact, I believe that it can continue to be a thorn in the side of Morrisons and Tesco.  I use Asda online for deliveries sometimes when I can't find a particular product on Ocado. There is definitely a place for Asda and I agree with Bacman that Asda are probably the "real world" food basket, as well as useful as for other goods.
  • Bacman
    Options
    Ocado are pretty expensive, even taking into account any joining incentives or online discounts as their stock is Waitrose who are an expensive supermarket. The issue is the perception that Lidl and Aldi are still "cheapo", which in reality doesn't seem to still be the case, hence this post. People tend to move along a path fairly blinkered, only when something happens start looking about; whilst that is the case with food shopping, Lidl and Aldi are perceived still as "cheapo" even when not, at some point people will do what I did and compare the actual prices for similar and think "hey, they aren't cheaper and also their range is low; i'll go to Asda".
    Asda have their own issues, empty shelves, etc; far from great however on the whole better value.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It's a lot nicer experience shopping in Aldi though. Its quick and uncomplicated. 
    Who needs 10 different choices of beans? Life his hard enough!
  • Bacman
    Options
    lol
    Yes, I will certainly say shoppers at Lidl and Aldi seem to be "a nicer type of person", i'm not saying that with any snobbery or class type comment at all, I mean that at those other stores people talk to each other, if they get in the way they will move away and apologise, friendlier too (a bit like at Waitrose or M&S). Asda shoppers seem grumpier and guarded, a bit less friendly.
    Very much generalisations of course, and after all I shop in preference at Asda as I like to pay less for products (we went to Waitrose the other day, no exaggeration, things were 2-3 times the Asda prices on a lot of items); i'd prefer to pay less and put up with grumpy customers and staff than pay more elsewhere.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Bacman said:
    Ocado are pretty expensive, even taking into account any joining incentives or online discounts as their stock is Waitrose who are an expensive supermarket. The issue is the perception that Lidl and Aldi are still "cheapo", which in reality doesn't seem to still be the case, hence this post. People tend to move along a path fairly blinkered, only when something happens start looking about; whilst that is the case with food shopping, Lidl and Aldi are perceived still as "cheapo" even when not, at some point people will do what I did and compare the actual prices for similar and think "hey, they aren't cheaper and also their range is low; i'll go to Asda".
    Asda have their own issues, empty shelves, etc; far from great however on the whole better value.
    It's not really accurate to say Ocado's stock is the same as Waitrose's. They sell a lot of Waitrose products but Ocado also has its own lines - and that will change in the near future it's said, when Waitrose and Ocado finally part company. Meanwhile, Ocado does a price comparison on your bill with Tesco and, providing you shop sensibly with them, I find Ocado pretty reasonable value. 

I don't think we're going to agree on the comparison with Aldi (and no one has yet produced any figures one way or the other) but the comparison of my Aldi shopping trolley with Morrisons, Tesco and Sainsbury's, tells me that Aldi is still significantly in front and that its own brand quality tends to be better (certainly than Tesco's). Asda? Usually reckoned to be a bit cheaper than Tesco (albeit even more downmarket) so perhaps it is closer to Aldi - but I would be surprised if it's actually cheaper. 

• coachman12
    coachman12 Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options

It's not really accurate to say Ocado's stock is the same as Waitrose's. They sell a lot of Waitrose products but Ocado also has its own lines - and that will change in the near future it's said, when Waitrose and Ocado finally part company. Meanwhile, Ocado does a price comparison on your bill with Tesco and, providing you shop sensibly with them, I find Ocado pretty reasonable value. 

I don't think we're going to agree on the comparison with Aldi (and no one has yet produced any figures one way or the other) but the comparison of my Aldi shopping trolley with Morrisons, Tesco and Sainsbury's, tells me that Aldi is still significantly in front and that its own brand quality tends to be better (certainly than Tesco's). Asda? Usually reckoned to be a bit cheaper than Tesco (albeit even more downmarket) so perhaps it is closer to Aldi - but I would be surprised if it's actually cheaper. 
    Aldi and Lidl , IMHO, will always retain the stigma of "el cheapo".  Asda are a "real" supermarket, just as much as Tesco and Sainsbury-----though they do not have the vast premises occupied by the latter two. I have never seen empty shelves----indeed just the opposite , with clothes , home goods, books, clothes etc. And their online delivery service is also pretty good. Aldi and Lidl will never be available online ( they are just not supermarkets as we know them, Jim ).
    Oh, if only all supermarkets were as brilliant as Ocado------I can't wait for the link-up with M&S which is now scheduled to be phased in  by September 2020. What a combo !

• DUKE
    DUKE Posts: 7,360 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 14 February 2020 at 2:46PM
    Options
    I don't buy much from Asda, but I do look regularly.  Actually I was thinking it's on it's way out as I've been to a number of branches recently & they don't look too good at all.  
    However, I shop everywhere for offers, but Lidl's my favourite as I personally find them unbeatable all round.  
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure