PPI claim rejected - but premiums not stopped for 4+ years

Hi all - a friend of mine has asked me to help with a PPI claim, and I'm stuck with a way forward so thought I'd ask!

He had PPI for many years (9+) with Bank of Scotland, and when money got tight called to cancel it at the call centre - adviser said it had been done.

He noticed a year or so later that HBOS was still taking out PPI premiums so wrote asking to cancel these premiums, and also complained about mis-selling.

His complaint was rejected ("not mis-sold" - it def was based on what he said") - but the bank CONTINUED taking monthly premiums even though (a) he had complained about mis-selling (b) he had called to ask the premiums to stop being taken.

I think he's now stuck, because BOS final response was "no misselling, no refund", and FOS response is can't help as he contacted them > 6 months after the bank's final response.

It seems wrong to me that he complained about being mis-sold, his complaint was rejected, but the bank continued to take the monthly premiums out for several years until 3 months ago despite being asked not to - I'd have thought that complaining about mis-selling and saying you want to cancel the policy in any case = no good reason to keep on taking premiums out of his account.

He made this point to the bank, and recently to FOS, but is coming up against "final response was given, too late now" with neither bank nor FOS considering the key point that premiums were taken for several years AFTER the final decision to reject claim for refund, and after he called to cancel the policy

Any ideas or suggestions?

J

Replies

• -taff-taff Forumite
    13.7K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    What is this ppi for?
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • SonOfSonOf Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary
    Forumite
    It seems wrong to me that he complained about being mis-sold, his complaint was rejected, but the bank continued to take the monthly premiums out for several years until 3 months ago despite being asked not to - I'd have thought that complaining about mis-selling and saying you want to cancel the policy in any case = no good reason to keep on taking premiums out of his account.

There are people who have posted here where the bank has cancelled the PPI moaning that just because they complained about PPI does not mean the bank should have cancelled it.

What type of PPI is it?
  • The PPI was for a halifax credit card - he has letters rejecting the mis-selling claim over three years ago and a Sep 2019 letter responding to his complaint that the payments had not stopped when he asked 3 years ago, saying they now had stopped.
  • -taff-taff Forumite
    13.7K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Tell him to make a complaint to them they failed to cancel his premiums when asked to and mention that he intends to refer the complaint to the FOS, with all relevant information in it. Tell him to write this letter not phone and complain. Then wait eight weeks for their response and then complain to the FOS.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • BermoniaBermonia Forumite
    977 Posts
    500 Posts
    -taff wrote: »
    Tell him to make a complaint to them they failed to cancel his premiums when asked to and mention that he intends to refer the complaint to the FOS, with all relevant information in it. Tell him to write this letter not phone and complain. Then wait eight weeks for their response and then complain to the FOS.

Taff’s suggestion may work so long as your friend hasn’t already made any form of complaint about the lack of cancellation. Also ensure that they make it abundantly clear that they are NOT making a mis-sale claim but complaint is about not following instruction to cancel... banks see the words PPI and auto default to mis-sale which would be thrown out as already considered.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

British Gas prepay meter users...

...to pay less for gas from 1 April

MSE News

The 'odd Easter flavours' thread 2023

What bizarre food stuffs have you spied?

MSE Forum

Energy Price Guarantee calculator

How much you'll likely pay from April

MSE Tools