»

Is a Housing Price Drop a Disaster for All?

New Post Advanced Search

Debate House Prices

We’re struggling at the moment with the huge volumes of messages we’re getting from Forumites about coronavirus and the impact it’s having on their finances. We’re a small team and we’re doing our best to manage this spike in demand. As a result, we’ve reluctantly decided to temporarily close the Debate House Prices & the Economy Board so that we can redirect our limited resources to those who need us most at this time.

Please do not post content intended for this board elsewhere in the forum – we appreciate your help and understanding during this exceptionally difficult time. It goes without saying, we hope to get back to full business as soon as possible!

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH
FOREIGN OFFICE TRAVEL ADVICE * FURLOUGH UPDATE * MORTGAGE LENDING

Is a Housing Price Drop a Disaster for All?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Debate House Prices & the Economy
44 replies 2K views
Getting_greyerGetting_greyer Forumite
112 posts
100 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Debate House Prices & the Economy
Hi all,

I'm asking is a house price crash a disaster for all homeowners and are there negatives for buyers as well?

I'm will be buying this year or next. Decision point is in a couple of months. Whilst I'm not planning/hoping/banking on it, I've been musing whether a house price crash would affect me that much.

I'm going to make the assumption that I buy some where with 20% deposit, 3 to 5 year fixed term, and affordability does not include my wife's income only mine. I also assume, in my thought experiment, that a crash begins 6 months after I have bought.

I'm thinking I'm not really affected up until I try to remortgage, but house prices would have to be sustained low for so long for me to end up in negative equity. Even if I moved to standard rates would interest rates go up that much?

For the alternative let's assume I buy during a crash. Prices are dropping, how to lenders value a house that may continue to drop in the future. The benefits maybe that I get a cheaper house but they will be harder to come by?

So I'm thinking a crash generally hurts only those who are compelled to sell or need to remortgage with small equity? Apart from the fact you might kick yourself if you could have saved 20k on a purchase.

Interested in your thoughts.

Replies

• staffie1staffie1 Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Price ‘crashes’ usually accompany tougher economic conditions, resulting in unemployment. So unless you have lots of money, it could be bad news whatever you’re doing.
    God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference.
  • Getting_greyerGetting_greyer Forumite
    112 posts
    100 Posts
    That's a good point. At what point does a slowdown became a crash?
  • HerzlosHerzlos Forumite
    11.5K posts
    10,000 Posts Eighth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Price crashes are great for cash buyers to grab a bargain.

They are terrible for anyone who needs a mortgage.
  • triathlontriathlon Forumite
    969 posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    Herzlos wrote: »
    Price crashes are great for cash buyers to grab a bargain.

They are terrible for anyone who needs a mortgage.

Just remember though, if there is an economic crash, and I am sure at some point there will be one at some point , the one thing this government will have to increase spending on, and will, is unemployment welfare and most importantly for the likes of me and many housing investors, housing benefit :) .. It is so hard to crash the housing market in these times
  • A_LertA_Lert Forumite
    141 posts
    100 Posts
    Depends on the cause.

If house prices drop because economic trouble and banks not lending means there's less demand, that's not really helping buyers.

If house prices drop because more homes are being built, and the economy and mortgage lending remain strong, that benefits buyers.

As long as the majority of voters are homeowners and family of homeowners, I do not expect to see any lasting drop in house prices.
  • RelievedSheffRelievedSheff PPR Forumite
    1.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Having bought our last property at completely the wrong time at the back end of 2007 just before the 2008 property market crash I can say that no it wasn't a disaster for us.

So long as we could afford to pay the mortgage it didn't really matter that the house was not worth what we owed on it. It was our home. It did mean that we had to stay in that house longer than we had anticipated but we plugged away at the mortgage and eventually had enough equity in it to move on.

As others have already said it isn't necessarily the fall in house prices that causes people problems but the other factors that have led to the fall in house prices in the first instance.
  • lisyloolisyloo Forumite
    26.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having bought our last property at completely the wrong time at the back end of 2007 just before the 2008 property market crash I can say that no it wasn't a disaster for us.

So long as we could afford to pay the mortgage it didn't really matter that the house was not worth what we owed on it. It was our home. It did mean that we had to stay in that house longer than we had anticipated but we plugged away at the mortgage and eventually had enough equity in it to move on.

As others have already said it isn't necessarily the fall in house prices that causes people problems but the other factors that have led to the fall in house prices in the first instance.

This has been mentioned on another thread but staying put is not a problem for most people.
    For a minority who need to move for work or family reasons it can be Very difficult, but not always being able to sell when you want is one of the downsides of buying property.
  • MobileSaverMobileSaver Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    A_Lert wrote: »
    If house prices drop because economic trouble and banks not lending means there's less demand, that's not really helping buyers.
    If house prices drop because more homes are being built, and the economy and mortgage lending remain strong, that benefits buyers.

Both valid observations but you are talking about price "drops"; there is no way in my lifetime that more homes being built will ever result in a price "crash", it simply won't happen.
    So long as we could afford to pay the mortgage it didn't really matter that the house was not worth what we owed on it. It was our home.

+1

The other points being that the worth of a home is more than just the buy/sell price; how do you put a price on you choosing when to move rather than a landlord or you choosing when/how to decorate, who can stay over, whether you can have pets etc.?
    Respect to 3 of the greatest actors of all time; amazing people who are totally believable as the characters they play & almost single-handedly make the shows they starred in:

Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister in Game of Thrones
    Daniel J. Travanti as Frank Furillo in Hill Street Blues
    Claire Danes as Carrie Mathison in Homeland
  • ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    69.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a good point. At what point does a slowdown became a crash?

When the market moves out of kilter. Around 15% of transactions is sufficient to cause a correction.
    "Markets have been so good for so long. That many investors are trivialising the advantages of actively managing portfolio risk." - Gervais Williams
  • Crashy_TimeCrashy_Time Forumite
    9.3K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    A_Lert wrote: »
    Depends on the cause.

As long as the majority of voters are homeowners and family of homeowners, I do not expect to see any lasting drop in house prices.

Voters were told Brexit would knock 30% off house prices, they still voted for it? Sales transactions are half what they were at the last "economic trouble" as well, not sure bubble house prices are seen in the same light by the public as they were a few years ago TBH.