Can't stop payments

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
8 replies 718 views
BrucknerBruckner Forumite
34 Posts
10 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
I signed up to a service that charges a monthly fee. The service is no good and I emailed to cancel. The website says you can cancel within 14 days which I did. The website has charged my mastercard 3 times since and has not replied to 4 emails so far and their telephone number is an answering service.
After each month when they debit my card I have to phone the bank and get a refund.
The good thing is the bank always refund the amount. But they tell me there is nothing they or I can do to stop the merchant charging the card every month!
The bank say I have to just keep asking them to reverse the payments every time the company debits the card until the card expires.
Is this really the case? Is there nothing that the bank or mastercard can do to stop merchants debting at will?

Replies

• zx81zx81 Forumite
    32.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not Mastercard, but the lender can.

Tell them you want to cancel the CPA (continuous payment authority).
  • 2e0arr2e0arr Forumite
    1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    what was the service ?
  • BrucknerBruckner Forumite
    34 Posts
    10 Posts
    zx81 wrote: »
    Not Mastercard, but the lender can.

Tell them you want to cancel the CPA (continuous payment authority).

Thank you! I have been able to search "continuous payment authority Natwest" online and found an online form for the bank which can be filled in! For months the Natwest card team that I was phoning who refund the payments were telling me there is nothing they or I can do!
  • jimbo26jimbo26 Forumite
    954 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Your card provider can cancel it.

http://www.theukcardsassociation.org.uk/individual/repeat-payments-on-your-card.asp

"If you want to cancel a CPA, you can do this by contacting either the retailer or your credit or debit card issuer. In most cases, you should be able to cancel it by asking the retailer. This should be straightforward and they should respond quickly.There should not be a fee or penalty for cancelling a CPA. However, you may still need to make any remaining payments even if you have cancelled the CPA.You also have the right to cancel a CPA directly with your card issuer without going to the retailer first. In order to stop the next payment going out, you will need to cancel it at least a working day before the money is due to be taken from your account."
  • jimbo26jimbo26 Forumite
    954 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Bruckner wrote: »
    Thank you! I have been able to search "continuous payment authority Natwest" online and found an online form for the bank which can be filled in! For months the Natwest card team that I was phoning who refund the payments were telling me there is nothing they or I can do!

Some bank staff don't realise the process changed about a year or two ago. Before that, only the merchant could cancel it.
  • edited 30 January 2020 at 6:14PM
    eskbankereskbanker Forumite
    18.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 January 2020 at 6:14PM
    The FCA reiterated in June 2013 that banks can cancel these, so there really is no excuse for NatWest or any other bank to play dumb and claim they can't!

Complain formally, referring them to https://www.fca.org.uk/news/news-stories/continuous-payment-authorities-it-your-right-cancel:
    REMEMBER: IT IS YOUR RIGHT TO CANCEL CONTINUOUS PAYMENT AUTHORITIES DIRECTLY WITH YOUR CARD ISSUER

[...]

What to do if payments are not cancelled

Any related payments taken after you ask for a continuous payment authority to be stopped are considered to be unauthorised transactions. Card issuers must refund these payments and any related charges immediately.

If payments continue, contact your card issuer to arrange a refund. If it fails to do so, you should make a complaint to the card issuer and, then, if you are not satisfied with its response, take the complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

Edit: this is nonsense too, card expiry doesn't affect CPAs!
    Bruckner wrote: »
    The bank say I have to just keep asking them to reverse the payments every time the company debits the card until the card expires.
  • born_againborn_again Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    A cards team that does not know how to deal with a CPA :rotfl:

It is part and parcel of the role.
    While they can't always make sure it does not debit. Retailer ignores the instruction on the system.
    They should be monitoring your account and returning the payment to the retailer. Not you having to call.
    If it debits again next month. Call and raise a complaint that they are not stopping the payment, or doing anything to minimise the inconvenience & distress you are facing each month.
    Life in the slow lane
  • edited 30 January 2020 at 10:23PM
    2e0arr2e0arr Forumite
    1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 30 January 2020 at 10:23PM
    im sure a credit card company will lean on any company who are being slow. get on the phone to your credit card company raise a complaint tell them to stop this payment and if they don't 8 weeks after you will be taking them to the FOS. form what you have a said your cc company are breaching some of the 11 of the FCA principles That way they may send you a gesture of goodwill as well as your refund and if they dont sort it in 8 weeks they will have to pay the ajudication case fee about £550.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides