1 Shop, 2 Electric meters

I am a tenant in a shop which originally comprised of 2 separate units, each with its own electric meter.
25 years ago, the units were broken through in order to make it into one shop and the existing 2 meters were kept as they are to this day.

A recent random check by NorthWest Electric noticed that I'm using 2 meters for this one shop and said that it's illegal (his words) and that I need to get the landlord to put everything on to one supply/meter only. I fail to see what difference it makes and wondered if indeed it is unlawful. I have asked a few electricians and they seem vague as to the legalities.

On another issue, does anybody know the law regarding smoke detectors and emergency lighting for shop premises? There are none in the shop and I wanted to clarify if this is now a legal requirement? Thanks.

Comments

• Andy_WSM
    Andy_WSM Posts: 2,217
    First Anniversary First Post Uniform Washer Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    amblonia wrote: »

A recent random check by NorthWest Electric noticed that I'm using 2 meters for this one shop and said that it's illegal (his words) and that I need to get the landlord to put everything on to one supply/meter only. I fail to see what difference it makes and wondered if indeed it is unlawful. I have asked a few electricians and they seem vague as to the legalities.

I suspect the risk comes from having unknown mixed phases on adjacent equipment. This brings a higher electrocution risk under fault conditions. I do not know the legal aspect of this, but for safety's sake it would be worth looking into.

Presumably you are also paying 2 lots of standing charges, so if the landlord has to pay for remedial works, then this can only benefit you.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,062
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Possibly a Fire Brigade requirement who expect to see one point of isolation for the premises.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.5K Travel & Transport