Probate

Hello and good morning all, I have a query to do with probate. I presume it should be a pretty straightforward probate, my grandfather left his estate 50/50 to my sister & I. The house is already ‘sold’ as he’d put it up for sale before he passed away, however, before the exchanging of contracts could be completed, my grandfather sadly passed away (November 2019). Our solicitor has been dealing with this and I found out for some bizarre reason that although they said it was being applied for in December, they actually only had us apply for it 3 weeks ago. The problem is Cardiff probate office has just merged with Bristol last year so the workload is longer.

Ha anyone recently dealt with Cardiff probate & has any idea how long it can take? The sale of the house depends on this.

Thank you!

Comments

• badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,200 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Wayles wrote: »
    Hello and good morning all, I have a query to do with probate. I presume it should be a pretty straightforward probate, my grandfather left his estate 50/50 to my sister & I. The house is already ‘sold’ as he’d put it up for sale before he passed away, however, before the exchanging of contracts could be completed, my grandfather sadly passed away (November 2019). Our solicitor has been dealing with this and I found out for some bizarre reason that although they said it was being applied for in December, they actually only had us apply for it 3 weeks ago. The problem is Cardiff probate office has just merged with Bristol last year so the workload is longer.

Ha anyone recently dealt with Cardiff probate & has any idea how long it can take? The sale of the house depends on this.

Thank you!

Your grandfather died in November 2019.

Your solicitor told you he/she was applying for probate in December 2019. Really? That is incredibly quick:cool:

Your solicitor applied for Probate 3 weeks ago? Again remarkably speedy action by solicitor.

Bottom line:
    Probate will take as long as it takes. Some very long delays were experienced last year due to problems with new IT systems, which seem to have been resolved.

The conveyancing solicitor will have to inform purchaser's solicitor of the need for Probate.
  • Anyone have experience or advice on the below.
    My mother passed away last week and my brother and I are executors. Problem is that my brother lives in Vietnam and unlikely to return.
    To progress probate and IHT I need to access the original will but the solicitor tells me that although he can accept a letter from my brother stating he is happy for me to act alone he would need to see original identification from my brother (passport, driver license and utility bills). Posting anything into or out of Vietnam is fraught with problems. So, at the minute I cannot progress without the original will. Any advice? Will HMRC accept certified copies?
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,339 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    (passport, driver license and utility bills).

Presumably these are with your brother in Vietnam - certified copies would still need to be posted?

Is a courier service available?
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Will the solicitor accept a scan by email accompanied by a video call?

If not, do they have a relationship with another solicitor who has embraced 21st century technology?

I was chatting to a solicitor friend recently about my itinerant son's need to make a will. Son was hoping to do it all remotely. Friend said his practice was looking into the logistics.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Thanks, I will enquire about certified copies and try the video link. Much appreciated.
  • Hi there - I have a .probate question.  My mothers probate has been granted and we have sold her property. There are 3 of us sisters and the oldest one is executor.  She has not been very transparent throughout the whole process but she has now finally settled the estate to us beneficiaries (albeit in stages).  Myself and other sister have been asking her for a breakdown of the figures and she is not giving them to us; actually questioning why we want to see them.  my understanding is that we have a right to get the accounts and in some cases the beneficiaries are to sign them.  What is your advice?  I know we can apply to the probate office for these but don't see why we should have to.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,339 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    The estate accounts are not provided to the probate office.
    The executor prepares the estate accounts after probate (showing receipts/disbursements) - your sister should give you a copy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure