Electoral roll - do you have to de-register when you move?

Options
Hi, we moved out of a house in mid-2017 (and let it to tenants). We registered to be on the electoral roll at the new council and voted. We moved again after that, registered again and voted in the most recent elections.

There was a change in the tenants last week and I got a bundle of old post addressed to us. In that were postal votes for the 2018 local elections and the most recent one! Just to be doubly clear, I did vote in both these elections at the correct addresses.

I checked my Equifax credit report and lo-and-behold it shows the old address from 2017. That doesn't seem to have stopped us getting a mortgage last year!

Have I done something wrong, are we supposed to de-register from the old address each time we move? I just assumed it would happen automatically when you register at a new address.

How do I get this corrected? The council told me to contact the CRA, the CRA says contact the council. Who can make the necessary corrections?

Comments

• Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No de register required in Scotland though it's been since my flat move 2009.
    I thought when you re register at new address then you mention last date in previous address.
    Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • B_DOG
    B_DOG Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 25 February 2020 at 11:36AM
    Options
    Got to the bottom of this. As per the council, apparently someone (the ex-tenants I guess!) was returning the periodic "who lives in this house form" (House Enquiry Form) with our names on it so we kept being put back on the register even though we were already registered and voting at another address. Bizarre! 

The lady at the council has finally confirmed that she has now removed our names from the address. 

Hopefully the new tenants won't do the same thing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure