Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Fraud & CCJ

In 2017 I found out via a Debt Collection Agency that I had been a victim of fraud. The value was only £1100.

After speaking to them it was a credit card opened in 2014 in my name (I used to live in a shared multiple occupancy house and post would regularly go missing).

In the end I was advised to pay it off ASAP and then follow up. I did pay it off however I have since noticed that I have a settled CCJ (which was why the debt collection agency was chasing me) linked to that fraud.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Whilst I should have handled it differently, is there any way of applying or appealing to someone to clear the CCJ off my record?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• phillwphillw Forumite
    5.1K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    tptp79 wrote: »
    In the end I was advised to pay it off ASAP and then follow up.

Who advised you to do that?
  • MEM62MEM62 Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    In 2017 I found out via a Debt Collection Agency that I had been a victim of fraud. The value was only £1100.

So not your debt.
    In the end I was advised to pay it off ASAP and then follow up.

By whom? (Ooh, let me guess.... the debt collection agency) This is fundamentally flawed advice.
    Whilst I should have handled it differently, is there any way of applying or appealing to someone to clear the CCJ off my record?

You will have little or no comeback at this stage. By making payment you essentially accepted responsibility for the debt. You should have fought it at the time.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals