Is this a smart meter (gas meter)

Options
Hello All
I moved into the property and the council said it was british gas the energy supplier. So there is a small meter in the kitchen displaying how much energy i am using a month. It resets itself every month. So when British Gas asked me for meter readings i follow instructions and it just comes up with VEND MODE so i cannot read my owned meters. It says it on both electric and gas meters.. British Gas came out to read the meter which they manged to do. I told British gas that i have smart meters and they said the meters installed aren`t there`s... Also my meters are displaying credit on them which doesn`t seem to go down either.
I trying to get them to install smart pay as you go has i always struggling to pay the quartly bill and if i set up a direct debit i am already struggling and to have enough money in the bank to pay bills. They say they cant install smart meters but i just wondering if this is a smart meter and if i can transfer to a new supplier for cheaper rates.

Comments

• MeterMan
    MeterMan Posts: 433 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Going to need some more info HBrennan.

I dont believe I have seen vend mode displayed on a british gas meter before, so it could be entirely possible that your smart meter is non british gas smet1 meter.

On every smart meter I install, it does display a credit amount, but this is not necessarily payge.

look at the meters and find out some manufacturer names, this will help us in identifying your issue.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    All gas meters, smart or dumb will have the makers name , year of manufacture, serial number , model, on the meter itself and on a yellow sticker more info such as installation date, meter reading on installation etc.
    Does the meter have a small keyboard ? If so these are Secure Liberty meters.
    I suspect you are referring to a smart meters "in house display " IHD which is sat on a kitchen unit and is plugged in to a nearby socket
  • anniecave
    anniecave Posts: 2,443 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So how long have you been in the property? Days? Weeks? Months?

Have you paid anyone for any energy yet via any means?

If you don't know who your energy supplier is, there is a number you can call to find out who your listed suppliers are - have you tried that?
    Indecision is the key to flexibility :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport