Cancelling auto renew

Options
13»

Comments

• Hannah1106
    Options
    bcr_2020 wrote: »
    I have just had the same thing with NOVA Direct/ PEX Insure for my phone insurance. I have never had to pay £9.98 just for cancelling the auto-renew. It may be in the T&Cs but, honestly, who would read them expecting this type of behaviour.? This is downright disingenuous and is sharp practices as far as I am concerned.

Interestingly, they will not accept an auto-renew cancellation request verbally over the phone and instead ask you to complete an online form. This is because with the on-line form they ask you to accept the £9.98 fee before proceeding to cancel the auto-renew. Well, I don't accept it and as such I did not progress the form any further, In other words there is no option to dispute this.

So my course of action here is that I have contacted my credit card company and asked them to stop the payment. If this company then try and threaten me/ chase me for payment I will then go to the Ombudsman and file an official complaint. I am unsure whether they will help me or not but my wider point is that it's not acceptable to charge any amount of money for auto-renew cancellation and the point is bigger than just being a small paragraph buried within their terms and conditions. This strikes me as a new development which will snowball a more and more companies jump on the bandwagon and this needs to be nipped in the bud NOW.

Ive been back and forward with emails with them about it. The latest today called me ignorant and said I was threatening them and trying to get preferential treatment. I spoke to my friend who did law and she drafted me an email for me to send including references to the unfair contract terms under consuner rights. Let me know how you get on.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hannah1106 wrote: »
    Ive been back and forward with emails with them about it. The latest today called me ignorant and said I was threatening them and trying to get preferential treatment. I spoke to my friend who did law and she drafted me an email for me to send including references to the unfair contract terms under consuner rights. Let me know how you get on.

You could raise a complaint about the charge, refuse to let them close it and let it go to FOS for a judgement on the (Unfair) charge. Or have a word with FOS about this. Given they are a regulated company.
    If FOS say they should not be charging them no matter what they will have to back down.

Let them make a call on it.
    Life in the slow lane
  • simo1989
    Options
    Nintendo online help---- when we have signed up for a free 7 day trial for Nintendo online it said auto renewal after this. I have input card details so that we could activate the trial. However, we have had to rest the switch and we didn't know it had previous owners details in. I have no way of finding these out. My question is, with it being an auto renewal can I cancel via bank before it's taken or can I change my bank card??? I've tried to contact Nintendo but worry they can't help as my details aren't the same as.previous owners log in. I've sent them the console I'd number in the hope it helps??? Advice please???
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    simo1989 said:
    Nintendo online help---- when we have signed up for a free 7 day trial for Nintendo online it said auto renewal after this. I have input card details so that we could activate the trial. However, we have had to rest the switch and we didn't know it had previous owners details in. I have no way of finding these out. My question is, with it being an auto renewal can I cancel via bank before it's taken or can I change my bank card??? I've tried to contact Nintendo but worry they can't help as my details aren't the same as.previous owners log in. I've sent them the console I'd number in the hope it helps??? Advice please???
    You'd be better starting your own thread.  Sorry, I can't find how to ask a Board Guide to move it for you but if somebody else isn't able to do that shortly, then best just repost.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback