We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Current supplier Objecting to switch help

Options
bery_451
bery_451 Posts: 1,818 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi,

If a current supplier object to switch and you followed their instructions to unblock the switch but the current supplier still objects to switch then what can be done?

Also how many days for cooling of period with new supplier and what happens if current supplier still objects after this period or how long will the new supplier will wait for the switch?

Will I be in breach with new supplier and pay liable fees etc.?

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,183 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    What was the objection?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • bery_451
    Options
    Robin9 wrote: »
    What was the objection?

Live balance after submitting meter readings not cleared however I cleared the balance straight away when I received their email containing the instructions that I followed.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,183 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I suggest you ring your current supplier - sounds like an admin glitch.

There's no issue with the hold up as far as the new supplier is concerned and no fees payable.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Kitchen_Sink
    Kitchen_Sink Posts: 230 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post
    edited 24 January 2020 at 3:41PM
    Options
    bery_451 wrote: »
    Live balance after submitting meter readings not cleared however I cleared the balance straight away when I received their email containing the instructions that I followed.

Having a live balance on your account at time of application is not an issue; it is certainly not a ground to object to switching.

Receiving a demand for payment, and failing to have paid it within 28 days (and it still being owed) would be a ground.
    - extremely rare if paying monthly by direct debit.
    - are you on a 'pay on receipt of bill' customer and missed a recent bill payment (and the red reminders that invariably follow if you are late paying it)?

As switches take about 3 weeks typically from application, you'll owe even more by the time the supplier stops supplying you.

Balances are usually settled after receipt of a final bill. 10 working days are then usually allowed for settlement.
  • Kitchen_Sink
    Options

Also how many days for cooling of period with new supplier ...

You have 14 days cooling off period if you decide against switching to a new supplier that you applied to.
  • bery_451
    Options
    Having a live balance on your account at time of application is not an issue; it is certainly not a ground to object to switching.

Receiving a demand for payment, and failing to have paid it within 28 days (and it still being owed) would be a ground.
    - extremely rare if paying monthly by direct debit.
    - are you on a 'pay on receipt of bill' customer and missed a recent bill payment (and the red reminders that invariably follow if you are late paying it)?

As switches take about 3 weeks typically from application, you'll owe even more by the time the supplier stops supplying you.

Balances are usually settled after receipt of a final bill. 10 working days are then usually allowed for settlement.

I pay by direct debit.
  • bery_451
    Options
    If they still object then what powers or rights do I have or what I can do?
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,977 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    If they still object then what powers or rights do I have or what I can do?

Assuming any debt you owe is less than £500 (which you do not have), you beat them around the head with OFGEM's Standard Licencing Conditions, specifically, section 14. Start the process off by submitting a complaint in writing headed "Formal Complaint". If they are still messing you around after 8 weeks, go to the Energy Ombudsman.

Toto were consistently blocking my electricity transfer for the best part of three months. Unfortunately, they went bust shortly after I had filed a complaint with the EO. Damned sneaky way of getting out of paying compensation...
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • bery_451
    Options
    FreeBear wrote: »
    Assuming any debt you owe is less than £500 (which you do not have), you beat them around the head with OFGEM's Standard Licencing Conditions, specifically, section 14. Start the process off by submitting a complaint in writing headed "Formal Complaint". If they are still messing you around after 8 weeks, go to the Energy Ombudsman.

Toto were consistently blocking my electricity transfer for the best part of three months. Unfortunately, they went bust shortly after I had filed a complaint with the EO. Damned sneaky way of getting out of paying compensation...

Ok cheers for the advice.:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family