possible cifas marker?

I was cleared for a £200 vanquis credit card. They offered me a increase too £500 but wanted evidence I have the income. I doctored a benefit letter to say I get more benefits then what I do. They rejected the letter and asked for more up too date benefit letter in original formate, I send them original letter with lower amount of benefit entilitlemt now they've blocked my credit card with £120 I can still spend on it. I rang ands they are investigating me for possible misleading them about my income, I didn't know this was a crime, I thought everybody did it?. I read up about it and now I'm worried. Can they put a cifas marker on me for bumping up my income a little on forms?

Replies

• MovingForwardsMovingForwards Forumite
    16.1K Posts
    10,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Only those committing fraud doctor letters / payslips.

Yes, you can get a CIFAS for doing it.
  • DCFC79DCFC79 Forumite
    40.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I was cleared for a £200 vanquis credit card. They offered me a increase too £500 but wanted evidence I have the income. I doctored a benefit letter to say I get more benefits then what I do. They rejected the letter and asked for more up too date benefit letter in original formate, I send them original letter with lower amount of benefit entilitlemt now they've blocked my credit card with £120 I can still spend on it. I rang ands they are investigating me for possible misleading them about my income, I didn't know this was a crime, I thought everybody did it?. I read up about it and now I'm worried. Can they put a cifas marker on me for bumping up my income a little on forms?

No not everyone does it.

You were dishonest, being dishonest is bad.

Wouldnt say its a crime but I could be corrected on that, its just deceiving them.

They can give you a cifas, depends how strict they are,
  • bazzybbazzyb Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    DCFC79 wrote: »

Wouldnt say its a crime but I could be corrected on that, its just deceiving them.

Fraud is definitely a crime. But in this example extremely unlikely to be pursued any further than closing the OP’s and registering a CIFAS marker.
  • DCFC79DCFC79 Forumite
    40.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    bazzyb wrote: »
    Fraud is definitely a crime. But in this example extremely unlikely to be pursued any further than closing the OP’s and registering a CIFAS marker.

Yes I know fraud is a crime.
    He did make an error of judgement and adjusted the benefits he gets, yes thinking about it now I shouldn't have said what I did.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Check your Clubcard vouchers

Use our trick to extend them

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals