We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Hot water coming through some taps and not others

Options
I have a very strange issue in my house (I just moved in).
There are four water outlets - the kitchen tap, the bathroom sink taps, the bathroom bath taps, and the electric shower.

The hot water comes out hot from the bathroom taps. However it comes out tepid from the kitchen sink tap and the electric shower.

However, if I run the hot tap in the bath, the electric shower comes through hot.

I'm not really sure why this could be. Any ideas why some of my taps arent working?

Comments

• PennineAcute
    PennineAcute Posts: 1,161 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    What is the flow like, when it comes out of the hot kitchen tap and shower (without hot bath running)?
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,946 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Perhaps you have a combi boiler and the shower is not electric (or not switched on, or its element has failed) ? If the flow is low the boiler may not turn fully on, hence the tepid water. If you turn on a 'big' tap then it fires up fully.

It's possible that the electric shower is fed from the hot water supply, which would make sense because it's cheaper than using full price electricity to heat cold water; it also means you don't have to have the boiler on in summer just for a shower. However, if the electrical part isn't working then it won't top up the temperature of the tepid water from the boiler.

What happens if you have a shower with the boiler off?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport