Holiday Insurance confusion.

Options
So, completely confused about how to insure a holiday.

A holiday (flights + hotels) has been book via a local travel agent, and will all be paid for by 2 people from the 10+ going on the holiday.

Flights and hotels have been booked by travel agent, and thus far only deposits have been paid.

I'm worried about insurance, what should be taken out, and who should be taking that insurance out.
I'm thinking of cover for:
    whole party being unable to go on the holiday, e.g. death of 1 of the family members
    individual being unable to go on holiday due to new health problems
    some kind of disaster at the destination (I'm particularly thinking about that new virus doing the rounds in China and spreading fast!!).

who should take the insurance out? the two main bookers/payers? The individuals going on the holiday?
Would payout cover the fully cost of flights and hotels if we're unable to go on the holiday?

The travel agent is an ABTA member.
Also, the invoice for all the flights and hotels shows an item of "ATOL Protection Cover", <£50 charge for that.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,611 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm sure an expert will be along soon but my thoughts meantime :
    Each individual will need their own cover. I've no experience of cover for a group but when we did big family holidays each couple or nuclear family with children arranged their own. Some took out policies others had it through bank accounts or had annual policies. Although you've only been asked for a deposit so far there will be a commitment to pay the balance so take out insurance PDQ. As far as I know, any need to cancel will depend on how close the person is to the deceased and also that the cause of death isn't linked to a known condition but it will ultimately depend on the details of the policy. There's a difference between choosing not to travel and being unable through personal illness.
    As far as the Chinese virus is concerned, that will depend on the current Foreign Office advice at the time of travel, again you can't just choose although many companies will offer an alternative venue. HTH.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,500 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Are the two people paying all costs or are they being reimbursed by the other 8? If the reality is that costs will be reimbursed then certainly each individual needs to get their own insurance. If the entire cost is being borne by just two people, they have the financial risk but it may be difficult to get 'group cover' for unrelated travellers. I would suggest speaking to insurance companies or a broker direct.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,611 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    Are the two people paying all costs or are they being reimbursed by the other 8? If the reality is that costs will be reimbursed then certainly each individual needs to get their own insurance. If the entire cost is being borne by just two people, they have the financial risk but it may be difficult to get 'group cover' for unrelated travellers. I would suggest speaking to insurance companies or a broker direct.

But regardless of who's paying they'll need medical cover etc.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you asked the travel agent who put everything together?
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,500 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I've just done a search on "Group Travel Insurance" and plenty of links come up. Try investigating those.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure