MSE Credit Club and Experian drastically different on same date

I got an email through from Experian prompting to check my credit score, and got a VERY nasty shock when the summary dashboard showed a 115 point reduction in my score, taking me to the lower end of "good".

I then quickly logged on to the MSE Credit Club dashboard, which still shows me solidly in the middle of excellent. Aware that this is only a snapshop I then took a look at the Credit Club report, and notice the report was generated today, next report available 22nd Feb.

I can't see anything on the detailed Credit Club report that would make such a drastic change in my points, and can't figure out why they would both be different given they are both Experian data in the background.

Any ideas as to why they would be so wildly different and how I can figure out what this 115 point reduction is due to?

Replies

• Willing2LearnWilling2Learn Forumite
    6.3K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Don't worry about your 'score'. A typical lender will never see or use your 'credit score'. :)

You just need to check all the data recorded in your three credit files, for accuracy :)
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • Don't worry about your 'score'. A typical lender will never see or use your 'credit score'. :)

You just need to check all the data recorded in your three credit files, for accuracy :)

Thank you :) Yes it's not so much the absolute number that is bothering me, but more the difference between Credit Club and Experian, and the sudden drop. I am worried that there is something I am not seeing on the free credit club report. I have been through everything flagged as a change on the credit club report, and they are minimal (less than a 5% difference in lending balance, 1 new search that may affect the score, 1 new alias). Its supposed to be the same data as Experian so why does experian itself flag such a big change.
  • DCFC79DCFC79 Forumite
    40.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Is the data correct on Experian ?

If yes then there's no issue as far as I'm concerned.
  • edited 23 January 2020 at 6:15PM
    Gonna-be-debt-freeGonna-be-debt-free Forumite
    240 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 23 January 2020 at 6:15PM
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Is the data correct on Experian ?

If yes then there's no issue as far as I'm concerned.
    The data that I can see on the report generated via Credit Club is correct, yes. And I know it uses Experian data. I can't get to the Experian data via the Experian site as I downgraded my membership when signing up to Credit Club.

Maybe the summary on the Experian site just has some kind of glitch?

My concern is if the Credit Club report data is old, maybe something has happened (identity theft type of scenario) in the last few days which is showing in the Experian summary but not in the Credit Club report.
  • murrays2murrays2 Forumite
    133 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Lenders do not see scores anyway.

Experian is a real time life shot of what your score is today.

MSE club is usually a few weeks behind. Its run once a month and at a particular point in time.
  • Willing2LearnWilling2Learn Forumite
    6.3K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    ...maybe something has happened (identity theft type of scenario) in the last few days which is showing in the Experian summary but not in the Credit Club report.
    You can get your Statutory Credit Report direct from Experian, for free, if you want to double-check your file...
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 in bonus points

MSE News

Ask an Expert: Scams

Watch MSE Katie's answers to your questions

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock